Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #46
L&D
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
pls continue to recommend good m42 lenses as i would like to get 1/mo. thanks
you might also want to try industar 50-2, for a pancake, dirt cheap and odd looking fellow - it produces quite impressive results. just don't stop at one or two 50mms, get as many as you can, try them and keep whichever you like, the rest you can always get rid off, or trade for something else.

P.S. this post should have had poll included. no?

09-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a ton of fast 50s and of the bunch, my favorites in M42 are (drum roll)...
  • KMZ Helios 44M 58/2
  • Auto Rikenon 50/1.8

The Helios is center-sharp at all apertures and has great bokeh. The Rikenon just simply has great rendering.

Steve
09-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by L&D Quote
you might also want to try industar 50-2, for a pancake, dirt cheap and odd looking fellow - it produces quite impressive results.
The Industar is an excellent lens, but one issue with it is that it has a stopless aperture - it's a design ported with little changes from rangefinders. This makes it hard to use stopped down on an SLR - if you stop it down before shooting, it is hard to focus (the OVF darkens); if you don't, you cannot blindly stop it with precision, so you have to take your eye of the viewfinder or you have to try to remember how much to turn the ring to get it where you want. It needs LiveView.

This lens also works great on extension tubes for macro work.
09-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #49

Original Poster
just got myself a helios 44-2 in good (pristine) condition, need to try lens first... 1 lens for Sept...done. (thanks to all who recommended the 44-2)
pls continue to recommend good m42 lenses as i would like to get 1/mo. thanks
Just tried the 44-2 this morning and...
Really sharp wide-open
Rendering is good for me
Ive seen Bokeh like my Reveunon 55 1.2 before (painting-like)
But.... i don't know how to get a swirly one. Is there a technique on how to shoot for a swirly bokeh?
a yes i forgot... flares haha but i can live with it...

09-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #50

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by L&D Quote
you might also want to try industar 50-2, for a pancake, dirt cheap and odd looking fellow - it produces quite impressive results. just don't stop at one or two 50mms, get as many as you can, try them and keep whichever you like, the rest you can always get rid off, or trade for something else.

P.S. this post should have had poll included. no?
Thanks L&D, yes that's the plan.. get as much (cheap 35us below) k/m42 mounts and keep/trade depending on the results i get.

Poll? yes, i should have done it but i really don't know how that's why i just updated and put the # beside it... (anybody can do the poll for me? Help needed here please)
09-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #51

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have a ton of fast 50s and of the bunch, my favorites in M42 are (drum roll)...
  • KMZ Helios 44M 58/2
  • Auto Rikenon 50/1.8

The Helios is center-sharp at all apertures and has great bokeh. The Rikenon just simply has great rendering.

Steve
Thanks stevebrot, am waiting for guys like you with all those bagful of 50's... I'll update again my list in a while.
I had the 44m before and wasn't really impressed by it (i guess i had a lemon on that 1).
i was considering the rikenon before but nobody vouched for it until now (have to look for that as well)

calling for m42man and RioRico.... waiting for you brothers.... my guess RioRico is in 1 of those long trips (valleys/deserts/mountains...) again....
09-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #52

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The Industar is an excellent lens, but one issue with it is that it has a stopless aperture - it's a design ported with little changes from rangefinders. This makes it hard to use stopped down on an SLR - if you stop it down before shooting, it is hard to focus (the OVF darkens); if you don't, you cannot blindly stop it with precision, so you have to take your eye of the viewfinder or you have to try to remember how much to turn the ring to get it where you want. It needs LiveView.

This lens also works great on extension tubes for macro work.
@ Laurentiu and L&D: thanks for that suggestion, will look for it.

By the way, if anybody here is trying to look for something as well i can help you out in whichever way i can (just to return a gratitude for all of your help) PM me anytime or if anybody drifted (haha) in this part of the globe, i can always be of help....
09-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #53
L&D
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
but one issue with it is that it has a stopless aperture
yup, that's the only drawback i have with that glass too. actually i was thinking about getting either step up ring or cheap 35.5mm filter and super glue it on the front aperture ring for better handling and manipulation.

09-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #54
L&D
Forum Member

Thanks L&D, yes that's the plan.. get as much (cheap 35us below) k/m42 mounts and keep/trade depending on the results i get.
Hey no problem HoBykoYan. currently i have 7 m42 normal primes, and they each have their own character and personality, but always am on the lookout for more, even beyond m42 mount. there are some great glasses on adaptall, om, k and non-leica m39 mount that don't break budget.
09-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #55

Original Poster
Is it only a myth? can this turn 1 into a believer? is it on a league of its own?
after a day with this russian legend... 3 words from me... I fu__ed up Big Time!!!
now you're asking me why???

here me out... what have i been doing the past 3 years... this lens is the real thing guys...believe me.
if you're into sharp, low-light with that amazing rendering and lots of ooomph lens... you just have to get this one at all cost...

I am a believer now guy and thank you to all who recommended this lens.
now I think i love it more than my da70 rendering...

i can call it the 44-2 russian legend

if i can find the same rendering at 85mm then no second guessing, i'll sell my da70 just to get this lens...
any ideas guys?

M85, s-m-c tak 85, samyang 85 and clones????
09-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #56
Pentaxian

M85, s-m-c tak 85, samyang 85 and clones????
Not sure if you are serious, but there is a rumour that Helios will start producing its 85mm again, because it has become so sought after (and expensive) on the second-hand market.
09-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #57
Veteran Member

i can call it the 44-2 russian legend
Glad to see you liking it. I think what is nice about this lens is that it has great microcontrast right from f/2. This is why I like old Russian/Zeiss lenses more than anything else in M42. There are few modern lenses that behave like this and when you factor in the price, this lens becomes top value.

The Helios 40 is supposed to not be that sharp wide open, but if you can find a copy of the Jupiter-9 85/2 that is sharp wide open, you will probably get what you are looking for. The problem is that it seems hard to find a sharp M42 version and the LTM versions won't work on SLRs.
09-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #58

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Not sure if you are serious, but there is a rumour that Helios will start producing its 85mm again, because it has become so sought after (and expensive) on the second-hand market.
@Na Horuk. serious about what? im guessing the change from 70 to 85? Yes, i find the 70 to short for my portraits and the bokeh (busy) is good for street but the FL is too long for street that's why i will get myself an 85 with same rendering as the 44-2 and a dal 35 for street and AF needs (it seems this is as sharp as the da70 so im fine with this set-up)

@Laurentiu. really love the 44-2 man can't get enough of this lens and the good thing about it? got it just like new (though got it for 42.5us which is more expensive than other offers but am happy with it). Do all copies have the "made in USSR" printed on it?

Do you mean the J9 is better than the 3 I mentioned? had 1 before, didn't like it maybe i had a bad copy...
09-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Do all copies have the "made in USSR" printed on it?
AFAIK, yes. I never saw one without that marking.

Do you mean the J9 is better than the 3 I mentioned? had 1 before, didn't like it maybe i had a bad copy...
Better is subjective. I think you would some of the qualities you like in the Helios also in the Jupiter. I was not excited about the M42 copy, but I really like the LTM one. If you follow the Jupiter-9 link I included in my last message, you'll find my review with some samples and more comments on the differences between the versions.
09-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Its no rumour. Re- Helios 40-2

Production resumed Helios 40-2, Zenitar, TeleZenitar

Apparently they were at that German photo show this week gone... .