Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax 16 50 broken Zoom

Last year i was bumped by car in cannes during film festival. My camera pentax k5 resisted but the 16 50 and flash we destroyed. After a bit of time i had both back for lot of money, actually half what hey asked me, pentax france was asking like 1300 for both items, after some talk they offer me 50% discount.
I used the 16 50 for an year and i knew the zoom wouldnt last. Actually since i bought the lens the zoom was for me the wickest part, stiff to turn always with the double barrel construction.
Last month i noticed some block while zooming but the lens after some second returned working normally. Yesterday i was walking and taking nice photos. Suddenly the zoom begin blocking severely and unblocking after some hard turn. Then i zoomed at 50 and the zoom blocked completely. It was unmovable from that position even after some hard turn, and at the end it unblocked after some forcing but now it seems completly loose, the zoom move but nothing hpen.
Even the focus seems to have some problem now, the sdm works normally but both in manual and af has some difficult to reach infinity or go back to zero.
So after less than a year we are back to repair. Their warranty for repairing is 6 month but i will fight this thing , because the lens never had a hit and ita clear they fixed it but something wasnt good. It will be hard and probably i will have to pay big money again and wait long times before having it back.
Its a pitu cause for me is a superb and my preferred lens. Pentax should do a revamp of this lens. The 18135 double barrel move without any problem, all my sigma zoom fast and smoothy.

09-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Damn, do you mean you got hit by a car? In that circumstance, I'd have gone after that car's insurance..

Am I reading this right that Pentax France offered repair at 50% the cost of the lens? However, you did not accept it? Or you accepted it, but now - 1 year later - it's failing on you?
09-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Damn, do you mean you got hit by a car? In that circumstance, I'd have gone after that car's insurance..

Am I reading this right that Pentax France offered repair at 50% the cost of the lens? However, you did not accept it? Or you accepted it, but now - 1 year later - it's failing on you?

Hi yes not it me but the car just touch me and hit the camera laterally like cutting it, so the lens barrel was gone in the road and the mount keep attached the flash. The situation was strange i was shocked and didnt react promptly , i add the number of telephone of the guys and police claim but it would take lot of time and the guy couldnt be found by police. I was stupid there were poicemen everywhere so i could have stoped them while i was talking with the guy. Strange situation.
Pentax france wanted to substitute also the glass cause they had some scratches due to past, in practice they changed everything even if not asked, i mean two tiny scratches are nothing for a lens. So they asked 850 for lens and 450 for flash. I ama professional using pentax gear. We begin talking with the guy in france and they agrred something was wrong with the repairing. So he was gentle to offer me half price of repairing but it was just a one to one deal i think. I have had problems with the sdm when i bought the lens and they knew this, so probably it also played a role in the thing.
Now after less than a year and no bump or accident to lens it break again. As i told i was aware in the last month something was going bad with the zoom, and at last it failed. Considring they substitue all the zoom lock one year ago its clear it was faulty. I hope they will realize this and fix it.