Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #1

18-55 DA vs WR

Apart from the WR being weather resistant, whats the difference between these two lenses? Both same IQ?

09-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As of today I own both models. I am planning on doing a side-by-side evaluation of IQ of the two as soon as I can.

Technically they have the same optical design. There are some cosmetic differences in the exterior portions of the lens - beyond the red seal and other WR specific parts. Additionally, there is some information that the WR lens has slightly different coatings than the Ver. II model to enhance the front elements ability to shed water and not impact IQ. Both have quick shift, both come with hoods, both take 52mm filters, have metal mounts, etc. The WR version is 10g heavier than the Ver. II model and 30g heavier than the DA L model. Each of them has a minimum focusing distance of .25m, all have 11 elements in 8 groups, and are f/3.5 (5.6) ~ f/22 (38).

You can see from these pictures the cosmetic differences between the two lenses exteriors.

Last edited by Docrwm; 09-17-2012 at 01:56 PM.
09-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the info - i have noticed that the DA matches the finish of the 55-300, I think!
09-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Doc, I think any IQ differences could just be chalked up to sample variation.

09-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Doc, I think any IQ differences could just be chalked up to sample variation.
Possibly but there are hints, and if there is more than a hint I would appreciate a link, that the coatings are different between the two. I just want to satisfy my own curiosity and put them through the side-by-side. But I would really like to know if they have different coatings.
09-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Possibly but there are hints, and if there is more than a hint I would appreciate a link, that the coatings are different between the two. I just want to satisfy my own curiosity and put them through the side-by-side. But I would really like to know if they have different coatings.
Splash both with water on the front element
09-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Splash both with water on the front element
I plan to.

09-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I plan to.
Record the results! Love to see how the water is affected (if there is a difference).

I remember seeing them show how the water just glides off the DA*200's front element in one on-line promotion video.
09-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Record the results! Love to see how the water is affected (if there is a difference).

I remember seeing them show how the water just glides off the DA*200's front element in one on-line promotion video.
I plan to do a mist spray to the two exposed front elements and a water drop test with larger drops to simulate two types of water exposure - mist and rain. I'm not going to do anything that would put them at risk but any other ideas?
09-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think the mist spray would be best - to see how the water beads up. A drop splashing on the front element will also reveal any hydrophobic tendencies, as well as water trails.

I imagine that as long as you wipe off the water, and put the lens in a ziplock bag with dessicant (well the non-WR one), it shouldn't be at risk of any damage. It's not like you plan to drown them.
09-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I think the mist spray would be best - to see how the water beads up. A drop splashing on the front element will also reveal any hydrophobic tendencies, as well as water trails.

I imagine that as long as you wipe off the water, and put the lens in a ziplock bag with dessicant (well the non-WR one), it shouldn't be at risk of any damage. It's not like you plan to drown them.
That was my plan. I plan to repeat a couple times but I am open to any non-destructive tests that have any potential to reveal any differences between the two. I also plan to point them at light sources from different angles to see if there is any flare resistance difference between the two - because if they have different coatings that could show up in such tests.
09-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Maybe see how flare is affected while the front element is wet. Dunno!
09-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Maybe see how flare is affected while the front element is wet. Dunno!
Not a bad idea, and not too hard to add.
09-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #14

Original Poster
Is it wrong that a want the DA version to match the style of the DA 50-300?

Think I am in OCD overload!!!
09-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayX2A Quote
Is it wrong that a want the DA version to match the style of the DA 50-300?

Think I am in OCD overload!!!
Well, I see from your posts that you have a K-5. I'd get the 18-55WR for the WR if you don't already have a WR lens that covers that range (like the 18-135WR or a * lens). Matching the 55-300 in appearance is a bit over the top, given that the WR is a real feature that could make use of the K-5 easier and more versatile for you.