Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #1

I've finally ended my extension tube search!

I've been scouring forums, Google, the entire internetz trying to find a Kenko Uniplus 25. Finally, my search has ended...but not in the way I thought.

Tonight I was lucky enough to win this: Minty Kenko AF Autofocus 2x Teleconverter Lens for Pentax Digital SLR DSLR | eBay

Yep, a Kenko 2X Pz-AF TC. In looking at the pics it's clear to me that it's exactly the same thing as the Uniplus tube, save for the presence of glass. In fact, if you look at a pic of the actual tube you can see that the rear end is threaded for the rings that hold the elements in (pic found on Photobucket):

The exteriors are the same, interiors look to be the same...except for the labeling on the outside I think this is the real deal. Two minutes to remove the rings and elements, hopefully I can retain order and orientation (I'll likely video the disassembly), and I should have an AF and SDM extension tube exactly like the elusive Uniplus. I'll just have to be sure that all exposed surfaces are black and not shiny aluminum.

09-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #2

Very interested in seeing your disassembly video! I don't have the nerve to try something like that without guidance :-D
09-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Disassembly should be cake. See the slots in picture 3? Place a flat head screwdriver in one and start tapping counter clockwise.
The retaining rings should unscrew and then the elements wil fall out.
Voila, extension tube!
09-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Disassembly should be cake. See the slots in picture 3? Place a flat head screwdriver in one and start tapping counter clockwise.
The retaining rings should unscrew and then the elements wil fall out.
Voila, extension tube!
Yep, and from what I see it will be indistinguishable from the Uniplus. I thought I had a Uniplus tracked down in a shop in Bern, Switzerland...but the shop never e-mailed me back. Such a wide net we cast when desperate

09-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KHatfull Quote
Yep, and from what I see it will be indistinguishable from the Uniplus. I thought I had a Uniplus tracked down in a shop in Bern, Switzerland...but the shop never e-mailed me back. Such a wide net we cast when desperate
Fell for the old Bern, Switzerland gag, huh? Amateur...
09-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Fell for the old Bern, Switzerland gag, huh? Amateur...
Haha!

Funny, it's not on the site now...it was as of a couple weeks ago too.

Foto Video Zumstein AG Bern - Ihr kompetenter Fachhändler für Foto, Video und Astronomie

Here's what it looked like when I saw it:

Kenko Pz-AF Uniplus Tube 25 CM-8192
CHF 18.00 | Zustand: normal gebraucht
Info: Zwischenring zu Pentax AF
09-18-2012, 01:17 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats; I was following that auction and you got a fair price. As Larry says, removing the optics will be easy. I don't have a proper lens spanner but I've found that a good solid pair of embroidery scissors gives better leverage than a screwdriver, making the job easier and also safer (less force, less likely to lose control and scratch something). I pad the tips with bits of tape. The first couple of elements fall out easily enough but I've always found I need to push through from the other side to get the remaining elements. I've found it easy to keep everything in order; I then wrap it all up in cling wrap and then in a tiny ziplock.

I've found AF with extension to be pretty useless and the main reason I like this kind of tube is for maximum compatibility with different lenses.
09-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Congrats..

I've found AF with extension to be pretty useless and the main reason I like this kind of tube is for maximum compatibility with different lenses.
Thanks. Yeah, AF is usually hit or miss but, like you said, having the SDM contacts is still worthwhile.

Before I moved to Pentax I had Olympus: E-5, 50-200, 50 macro, 12-60, plus 25mm extension tube 1.4x and 2x converters ...there wasn't a combination of lens, tube or converter (only one add-on at a time) that wouldn't AF. The 50 macro was like the Tamron 90, slow with long throw, but it did work. I'm anxious try the same with my Pentax stuff...as soon as my 70-200 and K-5 get back from Tamron.

EDIT: BTW, thanks for not bidding

09-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, that my photograph of the Uniplus Tube 25!
09-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Wow, that my photograph of the Uniplus Tube 25!
I hope you don't mind my having borrowed it! Somehow I had a feeling it might be a member's photo...who else would take nice pics of obscure Pentax equipment BTW, I looked at your gallery...some nice glass you have there sir/madam!

Actually, it was the photo that pushed me over the edge in bidding...once I saw the threads in your photo I knew the tube was really just the TC with no glass.

So thanks for a nicely detailed pic!

Last edited by KHatfull; 09-18-2012 at 07:34 AM.
09-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Spanner substitutes

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I don't have a proper lens spanner but . . .
There's no end to the potential substitutes for spanner wrenches. This is just the few items I had within reach at the moment.

The metal calipers and draftsman's dividers are favorites. Use two needle points though. That also helps to start a sticky trim ring but be careful not to scratch the finish.

A trimmed credit card or other stiff plastic card works.

Somewhere around here there's a collection of customed trimmed and labeled sheet aluminum blades on a key chain.

The thicker blades on a set of feeler gauges are nice when filed/ground to the proper dimensions too and don't affect their use as a gauge.

One caution about re-installing the optics in a TC should you choose to do so: index and mark the components so they can be returned to the exact original position. Screwing the elements in and out is one of the means of calibrating the optics.

I've seen poorly performing TCs (and lenses, binoculars, etc) tweaked to perfection when elements were simply loose or miss-calibrated. The process is similar to adjusting AF, you 're just tweaking the physical elements rather than the menu data.

Hint: If you care to make the effort, sometimes you can significantly improve the performance of paired older tele-lenses and TCs by ensuring everything is tight and tweaking the TC optics for best results at a specific focus point.

H2
09-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
A trimmed credit card or other stiff plastic card works.
I like the sound of that -- I'll try it next time I do this operation. Should be less likely to mar the finish.