Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
oh noes! DA*16-50 you dirty dog!

I took my DA*16-50 out of the bag today to put some shots through it as it will be a primary lens for me this coming weekend and I wanted to relearn it a bit after using my DA*50-135 almost exclusively over the past 2 weeks. (not a bad way to live by the way, amazing lens!)

However, the zoom collar is very stiff in the middle of the throw (28-40mm aprox) is like its binding on something but not. SDM IS WORKING FIne! it focus great, locks quick, no problem there. But it's the zoom ring thats bothering me... any ideas?

09-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
the zoom collar is very stiff in the middle of the throw
Thats normal for this lens, its to do with the weather sealing.
09-18-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My copy was a little stiff when I first bought it, but it has smoothed out considerably over the years that I have owned it.
09-18-2012, 04:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Not to worry.

As above it gets smoother with use.

Tom G

09-18-2012, 05:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've owned it for 5 years
09-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The same happens with my K-5 and DA 18-135mm WR zoom, and this is perfectly normal.

Open one of the covers on the K-5 to break the airtight weather-sealing, such as the power/USB/HDMI port cover on the left side on the camera, and see if the zoom is looser.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 09-18-2012 at 05:46 PM.
09-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tried the method of breaking a seal, even tried the lens off the mount. Its still very stiff in the middle of the zoom range...

09-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a similar problem with mine, some years ago, after it had a little fall (about 100mm) onto sand, while attached to my k20D. I took it to a repair service, who told me that the cause was the little steel ball in the helix jumping out of the track, and that I shouldn't attempt to repair it, as they had manipulated it back into the track, and that the damage to the track would self-repair with time. They were right. I'd completely forgotten about that until this thread, which demonstrates that the use of plastic for some things isn't always detrimental. Gentle movement of the zoom ring, back and forth, was all they did, until the ball popped back into the track. I hope your issue is as easily solved.
09-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Tried the method of breaking a seal, even tried the lens off the mount. Its still very stiff in the middle of the zoom range...
If the condition persists, get it fixed. Don't use excessive force to zoom the lens.

--DragonLord
09-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I had a similar problem with mine, some years ago, after it had a little fall (about 100mm) onto sand, while attached to my k20D. I took it to a repair service, who told me that the cause was the little steel ball in the helix jumping out of the track, and that I shouldn't attempt to repair it, as they had manipulated it back into the track, and that the damage to the track would self-repair with time. They were right. I'd completely forgotten about that until this thread, which demonstrates that the use of plastic for some things isn't always detrimental. Gentle movement of the zoom ring, back and forth, was all they did, until the ball popped back into the track. I hope your issue is as easily solved.

My lens did go in for service 2.5 years ago for a similar situation. It was stiff back then too. But it freed up after a while. It only started getting noticeably stiff recently.

I guess it'll go in for service with one of my K5's monday.