Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
35 Ltd *amazing* for landscape

I've read a lot of comments claiming that the 35mm ltd is not great at infinity, so I dug up picture of the Castle Course in St Andrews from last year and did some peeping. The quality of detail is stunning, right down to the pixel level and throughout the frame (it should be hyperfocal). I took this hand held I didn't really notice how sharp it was until I felt inspired to do some checking. Here it is on my flickr:

Glory of FIfe | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Perhaps you have to be lucky with the lens, but I have no doubt that the 35 Ltd is a more than capable landscape lens, so don't be put off by the naysayers! It's pretty nice at macro focus too :-)

Crab | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cheers,

Aaron

09-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An excellent shot. I think people tend to generalize way too much. I wouldn't buy a DA35 as a landscape lens but it is certainly capable. I would say the same with the DA 40 Ltd, a lens I own. I've taken landscape shots with it but I use it primarliy for indoor shooting without flash and people shots, not focused at infinity. If you have to rely on getting lucky, then you haven't used a lens enough to really comment on whether it's good or not. Rather than write off a lens after a few handheld shots, folks should use the crap out of it for a couple of weeks. Look at the shots that aren't "good" and the ones that are and try to see what happened. Every lens has it's sweet spot and you should learn what it is, what to do and what to avoid. Sometimes that landscape shot that isn't sharp is a simple thing like improper aperture, depth of field issues, and a big one that often gets ignored is conditions. Folks will put their camera on a tripod, ISO 100, f/11 and the shot isn't sharp because the wind was blowing and their shutter speed wasn't fast enough. I've seen that one in my own shots. Just because it's a landscape, that doesn't mean things aren't moving.
09-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I bought it as an all-around lens, and so far that is exactly what it has been. It's doesn't seem weak for any application I've tried- it's resistance to flare and maintenance of micro-contrast means it's quite the scene maker. Sometimes I've looked at shots that seemed so-so at the time, and been blown away with how the picture has been rendered, particularly scenes with strong and complex light (like the shot above actually).
09-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

yes the DA35 is certainly an all rounder - long gone are the days when macro lenses were only good at closer focusing distances. If I didn't already own a FA31mm f/1.8 Limited, the DA35 f/2.8 would be my next choice.