Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #1

So proud of myself - fixed a lens

You know what? I almost decided to sell off my lens (M 35mm f2) as is because cleaning the aperture blades didnt work (Isopropaol + open and closing several times). Today I totally dismantled the thing all way through to the aperture blades. When I put everything back I felt like building the lens from scratch.

Not just about that. Ive found a way to make lenses even more useful using DSLRs. If you access the lens from the front after removing the filter hood there are screws below that allows focus adjustments so now I dont have to focus with my eyes on DSLRs (some lenses don't focus exactly with DSLRs) - just turn the focusing ring to infinity and shoot.

09-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely done. I'm not sure I follow you regarding the screw. Did this M35 have an internal focusing screw built-in?
09-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

So regarding the screw:
You mean that you've adjusted the lens for a so-called "hard infinity"?
In other words, turning the focus ring to the stop sets exactly to infinity,
at least on the camera you had the lens mounted on?
09-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
It is 3 screws that makes the focus ring loose when loosened allowing you to fine adjust the focus. But its kinda hard to get there. A JIS screw (I used #00 and #000 for the dismantling) driver and a magnet "screwdriver" are helpful items.

What I did was after I was done with everything I adjusted the focus that lets med see things sharp at infinity. Then I loosen the screrws and move the focusing ring to infinity and tighten the screws.

I dont know if its like that for all M lenses though.

Sorry my english sucks. Hope you understand.

lytrytyr: Yes exactly like that.

09-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by striker_ Quote
lytrytyr: Yes exactly like that.

Great, good to know that it can be set quite easily.
09-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The focus fine adjustment moves around to different locations depending on the lens type but I would guess all the M primes are the same setup. The A primes are also the same but you have to get a spring loaded plastic trim ring out of the way (the part with the words on it) and its incredibly easy to break it in the process if you don't know just how to push and pry.

EDIT: actually considering how easy it is to also break off the tiny lock screws I wouldn't recommend this for most people to do themselves.