Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #1

So is there any FF in development / Zeiss lenses?

.. I have been reading your posts.. but I am still not convinced about is going to come... or not. Can anybody sum up ? And when.. ?

Other question: I have some good zeiss FF lenses. Could I use them with a Canon or Nikon? If yes, how and what are the restrictions (data communication ?

Thanks and best Regards,+

Olivier

09-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Oliver, welcome!

We understand this is your first post. Here is some friendly coaching:

* There are entirely too many (IMO) FF threads here so let's not start another. But please take the time to read the most recent, perhaps those posts made in the last week.

* Then make up your own mind. I'd start with Adam's posts about an interview with Ricoh execs.

* As this is a news/rumors forum, questions about lenses you own would best be asked and answered on the lens forum here at PF.
09-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Olivier,

To sum up Pentax FF:
1) Pentax has consistently said they are not interested in the FF market
2) Pentax has also hinted that they are 'looking into' more professional level cameras
3) This has been generally interpreted as "Pentax is working on a FF" but there is no basis for this from anything official
4) Essentially those that know anything are not talking, and those talking do not know anything
5) Best guess based on my reading of tea leaves is: IF they are even working on such a camera it will be late next year before release

Regarding your Zeiss glass:
That would depend on the mount I suppose. Since this is a Pentax forum one would suppose they are Pentax mount, but without knowing for sure it is hard to say.

However, AFAIK all Pentax K mount or M42 glass can be used on Canon & Nikon with adapters. The adapters vary in ability but generally that means everything is all manual. Some have glass in them which degrades the image quality but it depends on which mount you need to go from.
09-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They're obviously working on one (IMO), but we won't see it until the middle of next year (again, IMO).

Closed as there are plenty of other threads, including the most recent one

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
I have some ZK Zeiss lenses (K mount): 18 f3.5, 50mm f2 macro and the 85 f1.4
Anybody has some expertise on that subject (using on canon or nikon without image quality loss, possibly without loosing the data communication).

Thank you for your replies.
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Hi Olivier,

To sum up Pentax FF:
1) Pentax has consistently said they are not interested in the FF market
2) Pentax has also hinted that they are 'looking into' more professional level cameras
3) This has been generally interpreted as "Pentax is working on a FF" but there is no basis for this from anything official
4) Essentially those that know anything are not talking, and those talking do not know anything
5) Best guess based on my reading of tea leaves is: IF they are even working on such a camera it will be late next year before release

Regarding your Zeiss glass:
That would depend on the mount I suppose. Since this is a Pentax forum one would suppose they are Pentax mount, but without knowing for sure it is hard to say.

However, AFAIK all Pentax K mount or M42 glass can be used on Canon & Nikon with adapters. The adapters vary in ability but generally that means everything is all manual. Some have glass in them which degrades the image quality but it depends on which mount you need to go from.
09-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Oh, FF is coming... but not right now (obviously). Seriously, we'll see a FF offering from Pentax next year. Just wait, it's going to be a dandy!
09-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by olimatt Quote
I have some ZK Zeiss lenses (K mount): 18 f3.5, 50mm f2 macro and the 85 f1.4
Anybody has some expertise on that subject (using on canon or nikon without image quality loss, possibly without loosing the data communication).
People have used Pentax K-mount lenses on Canon DSLRs, e.g., FA 31/1.8 or M20/4.
(There's a review of the M20/4 on a Canon DSLR in the lens review section here.)

So, as perverse at it seems, you should be able to use ZK lenses on a Canon DSLR
(although it will be easier with an adapter on a Canon EOS M mirrorless! )

However, there's a scarcity of ZK lenses, since Cosina stopped making them,
so you might do better selling yours to Pentax users here on the Marketplace.

09-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
People have used Pentax K-mount lenses on Canon DSLRs, e.g., FA 31/1.8 or M20/4.
(There's a review of the M20/4 on a Canon DSLR in the lens review section here.)

So, as perverse at it seems, you should be able to use ZK lenses on a Canon DSLR
(although it will be easier with an adapter on a Canon EOS M mirrorless! )

However, there's a scarcity of ZK lenses, since Cosina stopped making them,
so you might do better selling yours to Pentax users here on the Marketplace.
Well.. I am not selling my gems yet I am also looking for the 100mm macro ....
09-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by olimatt Quote
Well.. I am not selling my gems yet I am also looking for the 100mm macro ....
In fact Pentax provides the best platform for the Zeiss ZK/E/F(2) lenses,
since you get focus confirmation, aperture automation, and image stabilization.
It's a real shame that Zeiss stopped offering the ZK option.