Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sigma lens opinion FOR a rookie

I have a K-x and just ordered a K-5 and I'm currently using the kit lenses and I have to admit that I'm a bit of a lens rookie.
I found this lens and the reviews on this site seem to real good, the price right and for the work I do it would work very well for me.
Sigma 18-125mm f/3.8-5.6 Compact zoom.

1. Is anyone have an experience with this lens and if so is it good or bad?
2. What should I be looking for in a quality lens?
3. Will this lens offer an quaility improvement over the kit lens I'm using now?

Any lens help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by BobbyA; 09-19-2012 at 10:14 AM.
09-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour,

I don't know about this Sigma, but I had the first version of the 18-200mm which was not too bad ... I suggest this because you might appreciate the upper end of 200 as opposed to 125. A bit more possible range ...

Also, in case you did not know your focal length of the lens will be multiplied by 1.5 on your K-5, thus the 18-125mm shoots like a 27-187.5mm due to the smaller sensor size.

Which kit lens are you using and did you get a 18-55 WR with the K-5?

Allez et bon courage, John le Frog
09-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

If that is the one I used to have, it's a very nice lens and IMHO would definitely be a step up from the kit lens. The zoom length is nice too. I owned this for several years until I'd replaced it with other lenses along the way. That's not to say that the Sigma is a bad lens, in fact I really liked it but I just had others like the DA 17-70, DA*16-50, and DA*50-135 that made the Sigma moot. The only negative with the Sigma is that it's not a constant aperture zoom lens. Early on I discovered that I preferred this over lenses like the Sigma where the minimum aperture changes with focal length. You pay a lot more for constant aperture though.

There are dozens of factors one may consider about buy any lens but as this is your first one from the kit lens, you can't go too wrong what ever you choose. I think you may really need to consider what kind of photographs you are taking or want to be taking.
09-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
I have the DA 18-55 that came with the K-x. I have not received the K-5 yet and I intended on using the DA 18-55 from the K-x kit until I find and buy a lense better suited to the K-5. I think my initial question was geared around whether the Pentax lenses are superior, or can you get a better lense for less money with a Tamron or Sigma (or other)?
Is there a simple answer as to what makes one lense better than another?

09-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Did you get a chance to look thru the Lens Database? Sigma 18-125mm F3.8-5.6 DC OS HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

You can compare with other makes/models here also.
09-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yes I did, thats where I found that lens and peaked my interest in it. It seems like alot of lense for the money.
09-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, I actually had the earlier version of this lens Sigma 18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database.

QuoteQuote:
I think my initial question was geared around whether the Pentax lenses are superior, or can you get a better lens for less money with a Tamron or Sigma (or other)? Is there a simple answer as to what makes one lens better than another?
The simple answer as to what makes one lens better than another is basically - you get what you pay for. That's mostly true for new and used lenses. You can be fairly sure that there will be significant differences between a $100 lens and a $1,000 lens. Generally third party lens manufactures are going to try to be as good as the OEM (Pentax in this case) or they try to offer a good or high quality product at a lower price than the OEM. They sometimes offer lenses that the OEM does not produce. Take Tamron for example, these days - if you look at their line - they have concentrated on zoom lenses with maximum ranges better than most OEM's. You have to get down to the test results to see differences. There really aren't simple answers here. Pentax, for example make absolutely awesome prime lenses (their limited models) and there is no question that these are really special. Pentax makes WR lenses too that - in general - neither Tamron nor Sigma has tended to try and duplicate or offer.

I don't know how others have built their lens collections but for me over the past 5 years, it's been a lot of reading, taking some chances with a lens or two, evaluating whether it was useful and, in some cases, selling off ones that didn't fit my needs.

Let me put it this way - as I've said to a number of folks in your situation - after you buy your first DSLR with a kit lens, the first lens (or two) you buy after that will say a lot about your photography.
09-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #8

I have had the Sigma 18-125 for a couple years now (got it fairly cheap used) and so far I really like it. As others have said, it is not a pro-level lens...but it is no slouch either. It has really fast and quiet auto-focus and a good range for a general walk around zoom. I liked mine so much that I eventually got rid of my Pentax 18-55 and 50-200 because I didn't use them much in favor of the Sigma.

09-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
I was afraid of getting an answer like that! lol But thanks, that was very helpful. I was hoping for a quick answer but I already knew it would be a trial and error sort of thing, as well as personal preference. $1000 lenses are out of my range so its more about finding the best for less.
09-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks Jwc77, the more I read about that lense the more I like it.
09-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BobbyA Quote
I have a K-x and just ordered a K-5 and I'm currently using the kit lenses.

Any lens help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If you want to try real quality lenses for relatively little money,
manual focus, manual aperture primes are the best value,
if you are willing to learn how to handle them.
Something like the M50/1.7 or one of the other
highly rated M-series lenses from the reviews here, for example.

The green button helps overcome the lack of exposure automation,
while "catch-in-focus" helps overcome the lack of focus automation.
09-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BobbyA Quote
I was afraid of getting an answer like that! lol But thanks, that was very helpful. I was hoping for a quick answer but I already knew it would be a trial and error sort of thing, as well as personal preference. $1000 lenses are out of my range so its more about finding the best for less.
Sorry, there really isn't any substitute for experience. I've got something around 40+ lenses and if you were to ask which was the best cheap one I'd be hard pressed to answer that. The one thing I can say though is that there is no one perfect lens.
09-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #13

Original Poster
The one thing I can say though is that there is no one perfect lens.

Now that was a word of wisdom that I've been looking for. Thanks