Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lens Suggestions?

Hello Urssu, Welcome to the Forum!
First off, I enjoyed seeing the photos you posted and I think several are quite good.
Judging from the subjects you've chosen, my recommendation would be a Pentax F 35-70mm. I did a quick search on eBay, for "Pentax 35-70mm" and the only filter I used was "Worldwide". Came up with more than 160 hits, but most were for Sigma or Tokina lenses in PK mount. Also several in the Pentax "A" series, which is manual focus. I found 4 "F" series Pentax 35-70's, one didn't ship Worldwide, the others did. 2 were in the US, another was in GB.
Prices ranged from about $50 USD to $80 USD. Shipping, of course, was extra, I didn't check each shipping estimate.
But I'd guess you could find at least one for under $100 USD, including shipping.
My reasons for suggesting this lens are; Most, if not all the photos you submitted could be shot with this lens, and it's both faster and sharper than the kit 18-55mm. It has a very useful "Macro" (actually "Close focusing" would be more accurate) mode at the 70mm end, an extra twist of the focusing ring puts you into macro mode. It has a VERY fast and accurate auto-focusing action and is a joy to use. Perhaps a small factor, but a handy one, is that it takes a 49mm filter/hood size, same as many Pentax lenses.
The other lens that comes to mind in your price range is the DA 35mm AL, the "Plastic Fantastic". While it's not as versatile as a zoom, it's the sharpest 35mm I own (including zooms) and retails for right around $200 in the US.
Here's samples of the F 35-70mm;
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/184051-f-35-70m...ur-photos.html
Here's the lens review;
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-F-35-70mm-F3.5-4.5-Macro-Zoom-Lens.html
Just a couple of ideas for you!
Ron

Last edited by rbefly; 09-19-2012 at 06:04 PM.
09-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Urssu, Welcome to the Forum!
First off, I enjoyed seeing the photos you posted and I think several are quite good.
Judging from the subjects you've chosen, my recommendation would be a Pentax F 35-70mm. I did a quick search on eBay, for "Pentax 35-70mm" and the only filter I used was "Worldwide". Came up with more than 160 hits, but most were for Sigma or Tokina lenses in PK mount. Also several in the Pentax "A" series, which is manual focus. I found 4 "F" series Pentax 35-70's, one didn't ship Worldwide, the others did. 2 were in the US, another was in GB.
Prices ranged from about $50 USD to $80 USD. Shipping, of course, was extra, I didn't check each shipping estimate.
But I'd guess you could find at least one for under $100 USD, including shipping.
My reasons for suggesting this lens are; Most, if not all the photos you submitted could be shot with this lens, and it's both faster and sharper than the kit 18-55mm. It has a very useful "Macro" (actually "Close focusing" would be more accurate) mode at the 70mm end, an extra twist of the focusing ring puts you into macro mode. It has a VERY fast and accurate auto-focusing action and is a joy to use. Perhaps a small factor, but a handy one, is that it takes a 49mm filter/hood size, same as many Pentax lenses.
The other lens that comes to mind in your price range is the DA 35mm AL, the "Plastic Fantastic". While it's not as versatile as a zoom, it's the sharpest 35mm I own (including zooms) and retails for right around $200 in the US.
Here's samples of the F 35-70mm;
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/184051-f-35-70m...ur-photos.html
Here's the lens review;
SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Just a couple of ideas for you!
Ron
Thank you all for the responses. Night here, many snores have been produced in this time, while you gently advised me on what to buy. Thank you very much, I appreciate. But one question: this 35-70 mm pops in my mind as well, but is it better than the Pentax SMC DA 35mm F/2.4 AF or the 16-45mm recommended here ? I mean does it have enough strong points for me to concentrate only on it? (the 35-70 I mean) .
09-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The F35-70 does not really overlap the DA16-45. We are comparing apples and orangers here. The DA35/2.4 is faster than the F at 35mm/3.5.
The F35-70 is light, has good IQ, very fast AF (moving targets!!!) and the handy macro function. I would never sell it, at least for the price they go for.
But it's not wide.

Seb
09-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #19
Site Supporter

35 or 35-70?

Hello Urssu,
The DA 35mm f2.4 AL is, as Bassek said, faster (f2.4 vs f3.5) than the F 35-70 wide open and is also sharper at any aperture. But you would have to pixel-peep to 100% to really see the difference and most enlargements wouldn't show the tiny increase in IQ.
For what you're shooting so far, I think the F 35-70 is a better deal. If you wanted absolute 100% sharpness in ANY lens, a prime is the answer. But you can't beat a zoom for versatility.
Hope that answers your question.
Good Luck!
Ron

09-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #20

Original Poster
Good day,

Thanks for the advice. One question dough: Why do people feel the need to sell something at a normal price (close to a new one in the store with warranty and all that) ? This I find mostly here (my country) , but on eBay as well. You selling a SH object or a feeling towards an object?

Regardless, I' ve settled my mind on the two I' ve said and on the 35-70mm. Let' s see in which price range they will all fit.

Still opened for suggestions that could change my mind! Thanks!
09-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Don' t know the focal length yet, but I' d really like it to start with 18 or less, cause I want to do close up pictures.
I think you may be confused about what focal length is. It has little or nothing to do with how close up you shoot. In fact, depending on what you mean by "close up", most closeups are taken with focal lengths lenses of 50mm or greater. Google the term "macro" for more info.

QuoteQuote:
I wanted the Zenitar 16mm, but for a lens that is rated so low
Compared to what? It's *by far* the best wide angle lens you'll find for anywhere near the price.

QuoteQuote:
I like the F1.7M, and that ain' t for persons (live things)
Again, it seems perhaps you are confused about how focal length works. A 50mm lens is actually *fantastic* as a lens for shooting people. It's slightly on the short side for head-shot type closeup portraits, since it forces you to be close enough that perspective starts to get a bit funny. So most people use longer lenses for that. But if you don't mind skewed perspective, 50mm certainly works quite well, and it's really very good for upper body portraits as well as more "artistic" types of shots that are more about the pose than the face.

Anyhow, I'd say you need to gain a clearer understanding of what you are actually looking for - what it is you want a lens to be able to do that your current lenses cannot - before investing any money.
09-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I think you may be confused about what focal length is. It has little or nothing to do with how close up you shoot. In fact, depending on what you mean by "close up", most closeups are taken with focal lengths lenses of 50mm or greater. Google the term "macro" for more info.

Compared to what? It's *by far* the best wide angle lens you'll find for anywhere near the price.

Again, it seems perhaps you are confused about how focal length works. A 50mm lens is actually *fantastic* as a lens for shooting people. It's slightly on the short side for head-shot type closeup portraits, since it forces you to be close enough that perspective starts to get a bit funny. So most people use longer lenses for that. But if you don't mind skewed perspective, 50mm certainly works quite well, and it's really very good for upper body portraits as well as more "artistic" types of shots that are more about the pose than the face.

Anyhow, I'd say you need to gain a clearer understanding of what you are actually looking for - what it is you want a lens to be able to do that your current lenses cannot - before investing any money.
I don' t know how to put it in plain english, but if the person keeps moving in front of me, the focusing is messed up. And the M1.7 has a focusing ring that turns for miles. Now, I know you can tell your subject to `stay like that, oh yes hold it like that` , but that ain' t the case with me. Thank you dough. And it is fantastic (the Zenit) , but here it was rated kind of low. That is the interesting part about the reviews, they are all subjects of personal opinions, individual ones.
09-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #23
Site Supporter

One thing about the prices in the lens reviews, they may not reflect current prices at all. Some of the reviewers have had the lens for several years, and some may have just gotten an extremely good deal. I've noticed that some people do increase ratings for lower prices, you just have to read the reviews carefully, and it helps if you know the work or posts of the reviewer.

I've not had an F35-70 but have read good things about it. The best sharp and cheap lens I have had is a Tamron 28-105 (also sold as a Promaster and Pentax FA, not the Powerzoom). These can be had for around $50 US, best deals when attached to a film camera. It also autofocuses pretty fast, and from your posts, you need that. But that DA 35/2.4 will beat them all, especially in low light.

09-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I don' t know how to put it in plain english, but if the person keeps moving in front of me, the focusing is messed up. And the M1.7 has a focusing ring that turns for miles. Now, I know you can tell your subject to `stay like that, oh yes hold it like that` , but that ain' t the case with me.
So what exactly do you plan on photographing? You said you were going to start taking pictures "of the human body." In English photography parlance, usually you say pictures "of people" if you're going to be shooting people in normal or somewhat normal conditions. To me, "of the human body" implies that you are going to be doing some sort of artistic/medical kind of photography of people showing lots of skin. If that's the case, you'll probably be working with someone who can obey instruction and you most certainly can tell that person to "stay like that, oh yes hold it like that."

If the person in front of you keeps moving, you increase depth of field by setting the aperture to a higher numerical value, or you go with a fast AF lens/body combo.
09-21-2012, 04:01 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Why do people feel the need to sell something at a normal price (close to a new one in the store with warranty and all that
Hello Urssu,
If you're asking about a new lens price compared to an older type lens, the answer is simple; You can't get the older lens as easily.
For example, I bought a Pentax "A" series 35mm f/2.8 in good condition for nearly $200 USD. That's the going price, between $150-$200- for a lens that's at least 30 years old. A NEW DA 35mm f/2.4 AL sells for about $200, full warrenty, boxed, registration cards, never-been-used.
Why? There's only a few of the A 35mm's available, the seller knows that. You may not even see one listed for another 6 months. They're rare, or at least hard to find.
But any store (online or actual camera store) that sells Pentax gear will have the new DA 35mm.
Some users like the rendering of older lenses, better bokeh, all-metal construction, color rendition, they might prefer manual focusing, any number of reasons.
So, now I have both 35mm's, the A and DA. I use the DA on my digital bodies and the A on my manual film bodies.
Hope this answers your question!
Ron
09-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Urssu,
If you're asking about a new lens price compared to an older type lens, the answer is simple; You can't get the older lens as easily.
For example, I bought a Pentax "A" series 35mm f/2.8 in good condition for nearly $200 USD. That's the going price, between $150-$200- for a lens that's at least 30 years old. A NEW DA 35mm f/2.4 AL sells for about $200, full warrenty, boxed, registration cards, never-been-used.
Why? There's only a few of the A 35mm's available, the seller knows that. You may not even see one listed for another 6 months. They're rare, or at least hard to find.
But any store (online or actual camera store) that sells Pentax gear will have the new DA 35mm.
Some users like the rendering of older lenses, better bokeh, all-metal construction, color rendition, they might prefer manual focusing, any number of reasons.
So, now I have both 35mm's, the A and DA. I use the DA on my digital bodies and the A on my manual film bodies.
Hope this answers your question!
Ron
Well, the 35mm I' ve wanted, jumped 200$ , so it' s gonna sell as a new one, but SH. Interesting how people like something so much they bid like... numm numm' s.
The 16-45 I bet it ain' t for sale so cheap so that I can afford it. In this conditions, I' m gonna buy a new 35mm. Maybe I' ll even learn to take good shots with it. Thank you all for the advice.

P.S. By `plain English` I didn' t mean `so low that you could understand` , but `so low that I could write it down, cause I am tired, busy, and on my way from or too work` . That is all, sorry if somebody felt offended (sincerely) . And by human parts, I meant upper body plus breast, maybe, something erotic. But yes, I have to learn to pose the human body, cause it has a personality of it' s own and ... it' s difficult in my opinion.
09-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #27

Original Poster
Ok,

Incredible enough I went over budget. Like most that want to buy something, they put the absolute limit downwards on what they would buy, and say it' s top- it' s a lie.

Now please read this, I really need an advice:

Samyang 85mm F1.4 or the SMC DA 50mm F1.4?

Thank you!

L.E. : Proud owner of this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46479-review-s...erical-if.html

The Samyang 85mm F1.4 or the SMC DA 50mm F1.4 (not the whole bunch, unlucky) .

Well, let' s see what it will produce. Hopefully good pictures and I can grow with it. Thank you all for the recommendations. I know it' s far from what you' ve proposed, but right now your advice (lens) are on my wishlist.

Thanks again! You can lock the thread!

Last edited by urssu; 09-22-2012 at 01:48 AM.
09-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

There's no such thing as an SMC DA 50mm f/1.4. Do you mean f/1.8?

85 mm is a fine focal length for photographing people. You can get closeups without having to be too close. I almost bought the Samyang 85/1.4 but I chose to go with the Pentax-M 85/2 instead. Pros of the Samyang would be auto-aperture (can use in Av mode), easier to find, and f/1.4. Cons are its size. It's also manual focus which could be a pro or a con. I personally can't speak about its image quality because I've only ever seen samples.
09-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #29

Original Poster
Pentax smc FA 50mm 1:1.4 sorry.

Hope I' ll be able to take good photos with it dough. We shall see
09-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I don' t know how to put it in plain english, but if the person keeps moving in front of me, the focusing is messed up. And the M1.7 has a focusing ring that turns for miles.
What does that have to do with focal length? Sounds like it is just a question of you not being fast enough (yet) at manual focus? Practice definitely helps, and you will find the long throw of the M50/1.7 a *help* in that it allows you to be much more accurate than a lens where the slightest rotation changes focus by a long ways. But anyhow, an autofocus 50 might suit you fine.

QuoteQuote:
And it is fantastic (the Zenit) , but here it was rated kind of low.
Again, compared to what? Lenses costing three times as much? Well of course.