Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
I want a lens for 200$

Good evening,

As the title says, I want a lens. Because the `Wishlist` option hasn' t been activated for the review section, I ask for you fellows for some help. It needs to be around 200$ (max. with shipping in RO) . Don' t know the focal length yet, but I' d really like it to start with 18 or less, cause I want to do close up pictures. The thing about the prices, they don' t match the ones presented here at the reviews (by far) . I can' t find anything cheap on Ebay (and good) , but I' ll wait on your suggestions (or even offers) . Surely I want IQ.
My field of activity? I don' t know, really I don' t. I' ll insert some pictures here (if i can figure it out how) , but the overall idea is that I want to start and take photos of the human body (not corpses, just to prevent the jokes; if it' s a good joke dough, you can still write it) .
I don' t like to post edit my photos (I guess I' m lazy) , so I' d like something sharp from the get go and kind of idiot proof.
I wanted the Zenitar 16mm, but for a lens that is rated so low, the real price (not the one on the reviews) is a bit high in my opinion.

My Lenses so far (few) :
SMC M 1.7, SMC WR 18-55, SMC WR 50-200.

Samples of what I do are on my gallery or even here (they aren' t the best) :

Ok ok, many pictures. Maybe more irrelevant but the idea is I shoot static things (mostly) because I like the F1.7M, and that ain' t for persons (live things) . Aldough I have some pictures taken with it, they aren' t the best. I dream of a 77mm, but that is far now. So, please help. The camera is the K5, not used at it' s fullest potential, but hopefully I' m on the right path.
Contrary to the pictures here, I like to shoot in B&W.

Thank you!

P.S. If you could be so kind as to post direct links to the lenses you are referring (not mandatory) , for me to make a quick comparison.

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 09-27-2012 at 11:17 AM.
09-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For a tight budget you'd better go for used lenses.

If you do not mind MF and if you liked the M50, go for a M28 and a M135, together about half your budget. Then you could get the F35-70 or the F35-105, both AF.
The lot could be had for $200 or less.

Wides are always expensive.

Seb.
09-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
For a tight budget you'd better go for used lenses.

If you do not mind MF and if you liked the M50, go for a M28 and a M135, together about half your budget. Then you could get the F35-70 or the F35-105, both AF.
The lot could be had for $200 or less.

Wides are always expensive.

Seb.
Tried to get the 35-70, amazingly it' s rare. And adding the F35-105 rips my budget apart. I don' t want a new lens, I just want a sharp lens (SH) . I want and absolute bargain, but there is no chance for that.

OK, but a portrait lens for this price?
09-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're OK with zoom, look for the 16-45. I get some really nice shots with that.
I'd also probably look for the "plastic wonder" DAL 35mm. You're not going to get too close with it, but it's supposed to be quite good.

09-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
If you're OK with zoom, look for the 16-45. I get some really nice shots with that.
I'd also probably look for the "plastic wonder" DAL 35mm. You're not going to get too close with it, but it's supposed to be quite good.
If you are talking about this:

SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm F4 Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database it' s a bit out of my wallet... like a few paydays away.

What do you think of the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL ?

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
That M 50/1.7 is very sharp and a pretty good length for shooting living things, in my opinion and experience. That would've been my suggestion for a lens that's an absolute bargain and also very sharp.
I totally agree, but the thing is, I shoot the sky and what not, not because It necessarily what I like, but because the persons I want to shoot, are moving. I ain' t shooting them telling them to `stay like this, don' t breath` and stuff, but let them move. With the M50 1.7 is hard, because the focusing ring has a long `road` so it' s kind of hard. Not to mention the manual aperture ring. Still love it dough.
And I' d like something beneath the 50mm focal length, for close- ups (not macro' s) .

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 09-19-2012 at 11:55 AM.
09-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That M 50/1.7 is very sharp and a pretty good length for shooting living things, in my opinion and experience. That would've been my suggestion for a lens that's an absolute bargain and also very sharp.

From the pictures I've seen, wide angles are usually used for interior real estate shots or landscapes, which are not closeups. But maybe I'm mistaken and wide angle lenses have a very close minimum focusing distance.

I have the DA 35/2.4 and can attest that it is pretty sharp for closeups, although definitely not a macro lens.

Pentax unfortunately doesn't have any old cheap lenses between 50 and 135, I don't think. I have the M 85/2 which is very sharp but I overpaid on it because I was impatient. Copies have sold on eBay from anywhere between $175 and $290.
09-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Tried to get the 35-70, amazingly it' s rare.
Hardly rare, there were six for sale on ebay the last time I checked. I just sold one last week. But you do need to have some patience when you are buying used. If you buy new, you just click and buy with confidence, with used you have to be very sure of what you want, how much you will pay, and who you will trust.

Prices in the review section vary because over the years prices for used have generally increased, and in the reviews you do not always know if the reviewer bought it new or used themselves, or when they bought it. Lots of reviews that say "bought it new in 1985" or some such, so the price is no longer relevant.

but I' d really like it to start with 18 or less
By this I assume you are looking for a zoom? If so, I don't know of one (except the DA L 18-55) that you can get for that price. Lots of old glass out there at fair prices but nothing that goes that wide. Maybe the F 24-50? But how much better is that than your 18-55? If you are serious about image quality and want a wide-normal zoom then you have the 16-45, the DA*16-50 and the Tamron or Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 models, you also have the DA 17-70 and the various Sigma 17-70's. But I think all of those will be above your price range.

cause I want to do close up pictures
Wide angle does not necessarily mean close up, a good 100mm macro will get you closer than an ultra wide angle. Depending on your definition of 'close' of course.

PS: when posting pictures they are easier to see if you downsize them a bit; maybe it's just my monitor or setup but those came through several screens wide.

09-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should be able to get that DA 16-45 for under $200 if you are patient and watch the marketplace - set some keywords and be vigilant.
The watchlist is a great feature to let you keep track of some things you want.

Many lenses can give you great results if you're careful.
DA 55-300 at 300mm (no, not a wide-angle or true macro but it's what I had on the camera):
09-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the other thing to remember is B&H offers lower prices over the phone than online. It's part of some online price agreement, but well worth the effort of picking up the phone. I can't find the thread at the moment, or I'd include the link.
09-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Hardly rare, there were six for sale on ebay the last time I checked. I just sold one last week. But you do need to have some patience when you are buying used. If you buy new, you just click and buy with confidence, with used you have to be very sure of what you want, how much you will pay, and who you will trust.

Prices in the review section vary because over the years prices for used have generally increased, and in the reviews you do not always know if the reviewer bought it new or used themselves, or when they bought it. Lots of reviews that say "bought it new in 1985" or some such, so the price is no longer relevant.

By this I assume you are looking for a zoom? If so, I don't know of one (except the DA L 18-55) that you can get for that price. Lots of old glass out there at fair prices but nothing that goes that wide. Maybe the F 24-50? But how much better is that than your 18-55? If you are serious about image quality and want a wide-normal zoom then you have the 16-45, the DA*16-50 and the Tamron or Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 models, you also have the DA 17-70 and the various Sigma 17-70's. But I think all of those will be above your price range.

Wide angle does not necessarily mean close up, a good 100mm macro will get you closer than an ultra wide angle. Depending on your definition of 'close' of course.

PS: when posting pictures they are easier to see if you downsize them a bit; maybe it's just my monitor or setup but those came through several screens wide.
About the rare part, I mean in good conditions (no scratches on the lens of fungus) and mostly, to be shipped in my country at a decent price.
I am looking for a zoom for portraits (decent ones) for me to start doing that.
I know wide- angles are not for what I want, but I must confess, I' d like shooting some old buildings over here.
The pictures are that wide, because I just copied the original links. I do not know how to resize them when inserting the picture links.

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
You should be able to get that DA 16-45 for under $200 if you are patient and watch the marketplace - set some keywords and be vigilant.
The watchlist is a great feature to let you keep track of some things you want.

Many lenses can give you great results if you're careful.
DA 55-300 at 300mm (no, not a wide-angle or true macro but it's what I had on the camera):
The watchlist ain' t available for persons that ain' t donating.
I can' t say I' m into macro' s sincerely. So, the DA16-45 so far and the DA 35mm F2.4 AL are the top contendents so far.
09-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, so. You'll have to work more to find that pricing...
I don't do portraits per se, but find the 16-45 useful for static close shots. I shoot these with different lights using Av on a tripod with timer.
09-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know what is wrong with the zenitar $179 Cad for screw mpunt brand new is hard to beat.
09-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I don't know what is wrong with the zenitar $179 Cad for screw mpunt brand new is hard to beat.
The price. Here it sells over 200$ , and on the forum it' s ranked with about 7.8 . The main reason as I could tell, is the built quality and some focusing ones. So aldough the pictures are good, I don' t think it' s worth. But seeing and reading that WA are generally expensive, if I throw this in the equation, I' d say as well it' s a bargain. But for now, I' d like to focus on learning to take photos of persons. The WA are for city shots and buildings (for me) .

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 09-19-2012 at 08:55 PM.
09-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The price. Here it sells over 200$ , and on the forum it' s ranked with about 7.8 . The main reason as I could tell, is the built quality and some focusing ones. So aldough the pictures are good, I don' t think it' s worth. But seeing and reading that WA are generally expensive, if I through this in the equation, I' d say as well it' s a bargain. But for now, I' d like to focus on learning to take photos of persons. The WA are for city shots and buildings (for me) .
the K version is about $25 more/ check out a site Kremlin optics in toronto.
09-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter

The Sigma 18-50mm F2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM is one I've been able to pixel peep with, and it's cheap too! I'd consider it if I were you.