Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're unsure about the quality of an off-brand adapter,
I would suggest trying it on the female end of a cheap extension tube first.

12-24-2012, 03:08 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
If you're unsure about the quality of an off-brand adapter,
I would suggest trying it on the female end of a cheap extension tube first.
Great idea, I'd never thought of that (not that I have any third party adapters, I just think it's good advice).
12-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #18

Is it true that some adapters click in place and others just rely on friction (or lack of it on bad versions...)?
12-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by les24preludes Quote
Is it true that some adapters click in place and others just rely on friction (or lack of it on bad versions...)?
The Pentax one has a spring to help it click in place.
I don't have any others, but it sounds as if the spring
on the bad ones is what causes them to stick,
so users remove the spring and rely on friction.

12-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #20

The OEM adapter I purchased from B&H a last year is stamped "Philippines" rather than Japan. The quality seems superb and I've had zero problems with it. Exce[t It won't fit in my Vivitar 2x Macro Focusing Teleconverter due to a slight design difference on the mount ring of the TC. Since many of the kit lenses are made in the Philippines I'd imagine the quality assurance is up to Pentax's standards.
12-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Have I mentioned before that I have bought many M42 adapters from SRB Griturn here in the UK ? I probably have.

M42 lenses on Pentax K

£18-50 of our UK Pounds gets you a perfectly good M42 adapter. I have the genuine Pentax one as well and honestly cannot tell the difference. They are a good company to deal with as well, fast and reliable.
12-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Have I mentioned before that I have bought many M42 adapters from SRB Griturn here in the UK ? I probably have.

M42 lenses on Pentax K

£18-50 of our UK Pounds gets you a perfectly good M42 adapter. I have the genuine Pentax one as well and honestly cannot tell the difference. They are a good company to deal with as well, fast and reliable.
I've never seen that page before. If the M42 adapter is good then it's worth keeping a note of.

12-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I've never seen that page before. If the M42 adapter is good then it's worth keeping a note of.
I think I've got 7 or 8 SRB adapters and 2 Pentax, and I honestly can't see any difference between them. SRB have a manufacturing facility of their own, they make quality stuff.
12-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think I've got 7 or 8 SRB adapters and 2 Pentax, and I honestly can't see any difference between them. SRB have a manufacturing facility of their own, they make quality stuff.
Never heard of them, Do they have a rep in the U.S. ?
12-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #25

I don't think so. I was looking for a M42 to T-mount adapter - so I could mount a M42 threaded lens into any T2 adapter and ran across their website. There is also a German company that makes these. It turns out I might be able to use an ultra cheap set of "M42" extension tubes as an adapter. The female threads on the tube accept my Pentax M42 lens but the male side won't thread into my OEM Pentax M42 adapter. It does however thread into some of my T2 adapters.

You might try contacting Joe Beljan of Beljan Manufacturing in PA. He makes exquisite camera repair tools, replacement battery covers and limited run lens adapters. If it's worth his time he might be convinced to make a run of M42 adapters. Contact him directly beljanmfg -at- earthlink.net
12-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Never heard of them, Do they have a rep in the U.S. ?
They ship international. And there's a little American and an EU flag on the page header, then prices are in $ and Euros.
12-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The Pentax one has a spring to help it click in place.
I don't have any others, but it sounds as if the spring
on the bad ones is what causes them to stick,
so users remove the spring and rely on friction.
The spring is the issue on some and over-rotation in the mount is a problem with others. Removal of the spring solves the problem of not being able to remove the adapter, but over-rotation can affect meter performance on film cameras that require a non-crippled mount.

Steve
12-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

SRB have a manufacturing facility of their own, they make quality stuff.
Thanks for bringing SRB up. From what I have heard, they are an excellent quality option for Pentaxians in Europe.

Steve