Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #1

Official M42 Adapter...

Are they making these any more? I cannot find them in stock anywhere. I want to get from old school glass but I am afraid to damage my brand new K-30 with a crappy adapter.

09-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try searching under M42 Adapter not M43.
Pentax Mount Adapter K reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
09-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Good question. Perhaps somebody will ask Ricoh at Photokina. In an earlier thread someone said he was told by a Pentax rep that it was being discontinued. Shortly after that it appeared in stock again on the Pentax US site and quickly sold out again. Then later someone said Pentax/Ricoh said they didn't know why they were having trouble getting these in stock - no mention of it being discontinued.

So who knows?
09-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry, that was a typo in the thread.

PentaxWebstore.com:

PentaxWebstore.com:

Product does not exist on their site. B&H and Adorama are perpetually back-ordered. Product does not seem to exist anywhere else.

If this is the case that is a major blow to Pentax and kinda irks me a lot. I really do not want to risk destroying a brand new body with a piece of crap chinese adapter.

09-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fantasysage Quote

PentaxWebstore.com:

PentaxWebstore.com:

Product does not exist on their site. B&H and Adorama are perpetually back-ordered. Product does not seem to exist anywhere else.

If this is the case that is a major blow to Pentax and kinda irks me a lot. I really do not want to risk destroying a brand new body with a piece of crap chinese adapter.
Yes, the Pentax Webstore is a long running joke. You have to buy them here on the Marketplace or on eBay. They come up a couple a week most of the time in my experience. There are some brands of Chinese copies that folks have been happy with that might be worth searching the forum.
09-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yes, the Pentax Webstore is a long running joke. You have to buy them here on the Marketplace or on eBay. They come up a couple a week most of the time in my experience. There are some brands of Chinese copies that folks have been happy with that might be worth searching the forum.
Sigh, what I figured. I Set up an alert on ebay. I will post a WTB on the marketplace if that is okay (gotta read the rules).
09-21-2012, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Sigh, what I figured. I Set up an alert on ebay. I will post a WTB on the marketplace if that is okay (gotta read the rules).

Go here instead of the regular sales forum:
Wanted Items - PentaxForums.com
09-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #8

Original Poster
Go here instead of the regular sales forum:
Wanted Items - PentaxForums.com
Thank you.

Done

09-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

PentaxWebstore.com:

PentaxWebstore.com:

Quite paranoid aren't ya? Pick up one or five of the cheap Chinese M42 adapters, remove the screw and the locking spring from the adapter. Screw the adapter onto the M42 lens, cinch tight using a PK rear lens cap and now the lens is ready to mount on your K-30. Unless your M42 lens has an excessively tight focusing ring the friction between the adapter and the body's lens mount should be more than sufficient to keep the lens in place while shooting.
12-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #10

I purchased the official Pentax brand several years back for about $14? Anyways, was well worth it. It is a beautiful piece of machinery. Smooth as silk. Worked beautiful on the k20 and k30 both. Glad I invested back then (even though I have no screw mounts yet). I have a bunch of 6x7 glass but no adapter for the k30 so now I just spent $140 on the "official" pentax version of that. I suspect that, too, will be worth it.
12-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

They are no longer made and third parties seem incapable of making a good one. I recently bought a second genuine one as a backup as the prices have already started to climb since the discontinuation, and will only get higher. The price of the genuine one (around 65 GBP in the UK) was absolutely ridiculous.

Edit: FYI, just saw this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/209392-sale-g...k-adapter.html
12-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Others have posted that some 3rd party adapters work well, I have Pentax Made in Japan adapter that works like a charm.

I will not use anything else on my K-5 IIs.
12-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter

If they were no longer made, B&H would generally list the item as discontinued rather than back-ordered. That being said, very few online merchants are listing Pentax 30120 at all and those that do are all back-ordered.

It may very well be that Pentax has chosen to cease production of this item. If so, it is a rotten shame. The brand-x versions are not of the same quality and many pose a threat to any camera they are mounted to. (I fought a Bower adapter for many hours before finally coaxing it off my K10D...never again...)

Steve
12-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #14

Steve - I was in the same position just last night. Scared the stuffings out of me.
12-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by harriska2 Quote
Steve - I was in the same position just last night. Scared the stuffings out of me.
Glad you were able resolve the issue without dragging out the Dremel.

Steve