Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2012, 06:12 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Personally I'm a fan of the 200mm focal length for most sporting events. This focal length doesn't seem to get a lot of love but I like it. I have an old SMC Pentax K 200/2.5 which is always in my bag for football, baseball or whatever presents itself. It it my favourite manual focus lens.

Jose Bautista

I was about 25 rows up on the lower deck in line with first base. This is a good spot for shots at the plate, pitcher's mound and infield.

Tom G

09-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have brought my 70-300 to Fenway Park. The last time I went there, we had some decent outfield seats in the lower bleachers in left field. I still had to crop my 300mm shots. Get better seats? Unless you have a rich relative who brings you along, better seats will cost more than a new 70-200/2.8 in Fenway. Keep it in mind that Fenway is one of the smallest major league parks if not the smallest. An 18-250 is too short for any outfield seats. Not all ball parks are as expensive so if you can afford good seats, get them.
09-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Not all ball parks are as expensive so if you can afford good seats, get them.
Its not so bad in Toronto reeftool. No problem getting seats with the product they are putting on the field this season. I think it was $75.00 for a seat 25 rows up between home plate and first base. Add parking, a beer and hot dog and the price goes up but what's a ball game without a beer and hot dog? In any case this distance is just about perfect for my 200mm lens. I know the same seat in New York or Boston would be way out of my price range. I only go to a game or so per year so as entertainment this isn't too bad. As in bird photography the key is to get as close as you can to the subject. A nice sunny day doesn't hurt either. The light isn't great in Toronto when the dome is closed.

Tom G
09-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
what's a ball game without a beer and hot dog?

You are so right! They will have a keg if not two of beer on the 2 hour charter bus ride to the Angels game today! Along with burritos from Chipotle Grill. Not a bad way to spend $80 if you ask me with ticket and everything included, while at the same time supporting the local high school baseball team.

09-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
Pentaxian

You pay through the nose at Fenway and Yankee Stadium even when they are loosing. I know Red Sox fans who would travel to Baltimore for a weekend because even with the driving and hotel, it was cheaper to see the Sox play at Camden Yards and there were always seats. With the Orioles playing good ball again, that may not be the case this year. The only time I have seen Toronto play was at Fenway a few years ago on a company trip with people from work. Halliday pitched a shutout until the middle of the 9th when Pedroia hit a solo homer. The thing I noticed most that night was that most of people in the stands around us paid no attention to the game. It was a big social event, the place to be in Boston on a Saturday night. That's why all games are sold out and ticket prices are so high.
09-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
Tamron 60-300 Adaptall: (from near right field @ Oakland Athletics)

Tamron 70-200 2.8: (@ Fresno Grizzlies)

Pentax 18-55: (@ Joe Louis Arena)

The biggest problems I have, is that neither Tamron's are great at focusing, even the 70-200 2.8, it's AF is spotty, and I use a K20, although in the Wings pic from a couple years ago, I used my K100D. and hockey is just a bear, because they limit the focal length. I wish I could afford the K5 or K30 ATM.
09-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I use my Tamron 70-300 LD DI lens at baseball games. As long as there is decent light, I can get some pretty good results.

A few from Busch Stadium, Saint Louis.