Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What to expect from A Vivitar 105mm f2.5 Series 1 Macro Telephoto

I got it in ex+ condition including everything but the box. I have few other macro fifties and DFA100.
Now, beside it’s a collectable Item to some, I have some questions about its use.
What to expect from it as a macro and as a telephoto?
What it can do that DFA 100 can’t do?
Is there any specific style/character/rendering in the image taken with it?

09-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a few shots here

Vivitar Series 1 105mm f2.5 Macro Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I found the bokeh on a much older Viv that I have busy but that would be like comparing apples to oranges having never shot/owned the lens in question. I'd just go have fun with it. What I've found with the Single In Challenges I partake in, is that besides the characteristics of the lens, the shooter has much to bring to the photos.
09-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My advice would be...Go to the field and take shots...as long as you have the other macro lenses, you are the best one to answer your questions...
Would be great to see shots made with the lens...

Good luck!
09-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote
I got it in ex+ condition including everything but the box. I have few other macro fifties and DFA100.
Now, beside it’s a collectable Item to some, I have some questions about its use.
What to expect from it as a macro and as a telephoto?
What it can do that DFA 100 can’t do?
Is there any specific style/character/rendering in the image taken with it?

I have both lenses and IMHO I think the only areas that the Vivitar beats the DFA100 are:

1) Manual focus when you need it. No way the DFA can beat the MF precision of the Vivitar or any other MF dedicated macro lens
2) 5mm longer in term of FL
3) the weight if you ever need a paper weight

Honestly, I don't see any serious reason to keep both lenses unless as you have mentionned for collecting purposes.

09-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Ducdao is correct. Test, for sure, but if both are good copies, the Vivitar will be easier to use for close-up work, while the autofocus of the Pentax lens will make it easier to focus on moving objects at a distance. Ultimate resolution and contrast will be similar.
09-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

How do you like your A50/2.8? It's my go to 50mm when I don't want shallow DOF.
09-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote
What to expect from A Vivitar 105mm f2.5 Series 1 Macro Telephoto
One word sums it up: Perfection!

09-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
1) Manual focus when you need it. No way the DFA can beat the MF precision of the Vivitar or any other MF dedicated macro lens
Point taken, thanks.
2) 5mm longer in term of FL
Ha ha.
3) the weight if you ever need a paper weight
True for any old lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
How do you like your A50/2.8? It's my go to 50mm when I don't want shallow DOF.
One of my favorite lens, most used one also.
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
One word sums it up: Perfection!
Perfect. I have seen what you did with it.

Thanks.
09-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't speak for the macro side of things because my 100mm Viv doesn't really have that capacity but it's definitely one of the best portrait lenses I've ever owned. It's a sweet lens for general usage. I'm told the 105's are very similar but that they have great macro as well. I can see why mine is running $200 plus when you can find it though. If you had to ask me which is the better lens that one or the 105mm Tak, I'd still have to say the Tak beats it, but it's definitely not by much. I only spent about $20-25 for mine. It was in a lot with another middle of the road lens and I got both for like $42 I think it was but that was definitely $$$$ very well spent.
09-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
If you had to ask me which is the better lens that one or the 105mm Tak
I have STak 105mm f2.8 and it's good but Viv 105mm f2.5 S1 is different every way, Here is one from this morning,
JoePenn was right. Perfect, even in my amateur hand.