Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wide angle zoom (full frame) recommendations/comments please.

I’ve recently upgraded most of my lenses except for my wide angle zoom.
I currently have;
Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f2.8,
Sigma EX 70-200 f2.8 (and EX 1.4 & 2x teleconverters),
Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 and
Pentax FA 100mm 2.8 Macro.

All constant aperture lenses and they all seem pretty good so far and I’m happy with them.

My current wide angle zoom is a Tokina 19-35mm f3.5-4.5 which isn’t great.

I’m using an MZ-S (film body) that I’m happy with and do all my shooting with, usually in aperture priority or manual mode. I also have an ist D which I’ll use in the future – I’m in no hurry to jump into digital.

I was after some thoughts on which full frame wide angle zoom I could replace the Tokina with. I haven’t used any other wide angle zooms.

A constant aperture would nice but seems to be limited to the Sigma EX 20-40mm f2.8 which doesn’t seem real wide and doesn’t rate well in the comments/reviews that I’ve come across (there’s a new one listed on Ebay here in Australia at the moment).

The Tamron Di 17-35mm f2.8-4 seems to attract good comments but the ones I’ve read pertain to it’s use on non-full frame sensors. Any thoughts/comments on these or other lenses would be appreciated.

P.S. I mainly shoot landscape, nature and macro stuff with the odd wedding thrown in. I'm not in a hurry to get a wide angle zoom but I'd like to be able to keep my eyes out for one (it might also help to settle my LBA!)
Thanks,

Dave.

02-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have an *istD did you get it with the 18-35 lens? that is what they origonally shipped with. Not sure if your camera can work with a lens that does not have an apature ring.

if you have $$$ look at the sigma APO 12-24 EX DG full frame at 12mm,

THAT IS WIDE
02-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll second the vote for the Sigma 12-24. Excellent, sharp lens in all respects. There is a thread on it here today.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/19850-any-advi...-ex-dg-af.html
02-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I wasn’t in a hurry for a lens but a new Tamron SP 17-35 2.8-4 came up on ebay last night at what I thought was a good price - $170 Canadian (Buy it now) from ‘prodigital2000’ in Stratford, Ontario, Canada. So I bought it. I’d had a bit of a look for the Sigma 12-24 but not a lot around and much, much more expensive so I didn’t think I’d go wrong at that price.

Thanks again,

Dave.