Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you want a 1:1 macro look for the Sigma A 50mm f2.8. It's a manual focus lens, but you don't really need AF for macro anyway. Keep in mind that the working distance of a 50mm 1:1 macro is just a couple of inches, bug macros are much easier with a 90mm or longer lens. The 55-300 with a Raynox might be a good compromise. I find the 55-300 to be a good bug lens even without the Raynox.

09-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm, doesn't the 35mm macro also go to 1:1?
I don't have the 35mm ltd, but I have the 'plastic fantastic.' What draws me to the macro is the quickshift and distance scales (as limited as they may be). The closer focusing might be interesting in some situations, but is not something I really need, so I decided to save up instead.
09-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hm, doesn't the 35mm macro also go to 1:1?
I don't have the 35mm ltd, but I have the 'plastic fantastic.' What draws me to the macro is the quickshift and distance scales (as limited as they may be). The closer focusing might be interesting in some situations, but is not something I really need, so I decided to save up instead.
Thx, you are the first with such and advice. And that's the whole point in my question: the plastic fantastic qualities really question is that an upgrade at all and one just look for extra features (meantioned already earlier).

and yes, DA 35mm goes to 1:1 also
09-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If you want a 1:1 macro look for the Sigma A 50mm f2.8.r
Thx for good advice and picture (they are really good), but in this case I do not look for dedicated macro, but rather was challenging DA35s and asking would adding Macro be really an upgrade or not

So bucks vs modesty

09-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The other upgrade path you could consider is the FA 35/2. Basically the same optical design as the DA 35/2.4 but faster max aperture, better build quality, and comes with a nice hood. It does tend to purple fringe in extreme contrast situations a little more (I've had both lenses), perhaps because of the older coatings, wider max aperture, or both. These situations are mostly avoidable so I stuck with the FA.
09-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #21

35 Ltd is great

I had the DA 35 initially and got some really good shots with it. But the lack of focus shift was annoying, and I didn't have a macro lens. Macro is ok with still subjects, and I like the perspective vs longer macros. Seems like you are "there".
So I got returned the DA and got a 35 Limited. It is a lens to consider if you want focus shift, really close focusing/macro, a built-in hood, and superb build. Was it worth it? Yes, to me. I have long forgotten the cost difference, and I am cheap. It is my most-used lens.
09-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yosemite Quote
I had the DA 35 initially and got some really good shots with it. But the lack of focus shift was annoying, and I didn't have a macro lens. Macro is ok with still subjects, and I like the perspective vs longer macros. Seems like you are "there".
So I got returned the DA and got a 35 Limited. It is a lens to consider if you want focus shift, really close focusing/macro, a built-in hood, and superb build. Was it worth it? Yes, to me. I have long forgotten the cost difference, and I am cheap. It is my most-used lens.
Thanks for the good advice I believe in what you are saying.

But for time being I decided still to stick with DA 35 2.4 and see what the future brings. Maybe I am simply yet not ready for 100% Macro

Ps.. and yes, I got an good offer for 35 Macro lens, but even though opticaly it was with the fault, it displayed some heavy signed of usage (like bumps and scratches) and this is type of used lenses I do not like to buy
09-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #23
Pentaxian

The DA 35/2.4 is nice for the price but the DA 35 limited is in a different class. The build quality is far superior. It has a metal mount, quick-shift, a focusing scale, macro capability and a pull-out hood.

But all of that is nothing compared to the image quality. The 35 ltd is sharper than the 35/2.4 with better contrast and colours and can produce images that have a vibrancy and beauty that the 35/2.4 (and most other lenses) just can't manage. The 35/2.4 is a good lens and a great first prime, especially for the many people that only use the kit zoom, but the 35 ltd is in another league.

09-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yosemite Quote
I think you mean quick-shift, which is a Pentax system for adjusting focus manually even with the camera in AF mode. Focus shift is when the point of focus moves when the aperture stops down to take the picture.