Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
From DA35mm 2.4 to DA35mm 2.8 Macro

Hi,

I have been in love with Plastic Fantastic already for quite a while and have taken a lot of great pictures. Now I have a reasonably good offer to upgrade to 35mm Macro lens and am bit challenged - how much of an upgarde that would be?

For me 35mm suits very well and I like to get close and shoot details, elements and other interesting stuff. So from that perspective Macro would suit me (no need for insects), but... I am also making amazing close ups with DA 35mm 2.4.

Has anyone gone that route or owned both? I would appreciate any comments.

Superdavis

09-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
gtl
Veteran Member

The DA35mm macro is a fantastic lens to me. But it rarely gets used after I got my FA31mm. Problem with the DA35mm macro is that it does tend to hunt, and its focus throw is very long. If you can live with the slower AF, by all means change. The close up focus ability is fun.

Do note its also slightly slower, and it won't cover the FF image circle like the DA35mm f2.4 does.
09-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
If you can live with the slower AF, by all means change. The close up focus ability is fun.
Yes, close up is really fun. I have DA 10-17 that can focus up to 15cm and I love it. DA 35 Macro have the same distance compared to DA 35 F2.4.

Do note its also slightly slower, and it won't cover the FF image circle like the DA35mm f2.4 does.
FF no issue here for me, and also AF speed is relative measure. For what I would use it does not matter.

by all means change
Tempting, tempting
09-24-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It's a Ltd, so construction, etc, is superior. It has quick-shift, and a built in lens hood.

Macro is good, but you need to get really close, so not much good for fauna and flora, but great for still life

09-24-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 35 ltd has proven to be lots of fun for me. Superdavis is correct in comparing it with the DA 10-17. The close focussing distance adds a lot of flexibility, and not only for macro. The 35 ltd can actually focus on waterdrops on the front element. It's ultrasharpness is also very welcome, but I don't know how it compares to the DA 35 2.4 though.

And yes, a focus limiter would have been really very handy for this one!
09-24-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

i only have the 35Ltd. The hunting is not much of an issue as usually I am using it for something that remains still. Users of the alternative seem to love their lens.

I use my 35Ltd often as my walk around lens. It gets a a very good workout for macro when the subject does not want to escape. as a 35mm macro it has much better depth of field compared with my 70mm and 100mm macros so I tend to use it for wildflowers when I am not using flash.For a small lens it has a magnificent punch. Its price is significant so unless you are going to use it a lot or want the macro then you should save your dollars and buy the plastic fantastic.

A comment about a focus limiter. My sigma 70mm has one. I am sure it adds to the size and weight of the lens. My 70mm stays mostly at homes as it is such a chunk of extra weight.
09-24-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
so not much good for fauna and flora, but great for still life
That's exactly my type of usage

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
The 35 ltd can actually focus on waterdrops on the front element. It's ultrasharpness is also very welcome, but I don't know how it compares to the DA 35 2.4 though.
Ouch, the waterdrops sound promising DA 35 2.4 is also very (amazingly) sharp and they are quite matching in centers, but test would give 35 Macro bit better corner sharpness.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
so unless you are going to use it a lot or want the macro then you should save your dollars and buy the plastic fantastic.
I have the plastic fantastic already and use a lot, so that's where the dilemma is - to upgrade or not to upgrade and is it an upgrade at all?
09-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by superdavis Quote
Ouch, the waterdrops sound promising.
Yes, watch that front element during composing! Or just shoot with both eyes open. This goes for the DA 10-17 too, as you probably know. It's very easy to get really close to your subject when composing with that close focussing fisheye.

I have the plastic fantastic already and use a lot, so that's where the dilemma is - to upgrade or not to upgrade and is it an upgrade at all?
Well, it seems like you really appreciate the added versatility and close focussing feature of the DA 35 ltd. And it seems like you don't mind it's only downside: the slow AF because of the long focus throw. Sounds like an upgrade to me.

Concerning the macro function and getting to close to bugs. Yes, it does take some more patience, but it's absolutely not impossible. I've managed to shoot hovering flies in flight with the DA 35 ltd. Of course, if shooting shy bugs is your main concern then this lens isn't for you.

09-24-2012, 04:38 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Well, it seems like you really appreciate the added versatility and close focussing feature of the DA 35 ltd. And it seems like you don't mind it's only downside: the slow AF because of the long focus throw. Sounds like an upgrade to me..
Sounds the same to me: 15mm closer focus + 1:1 + Quick/Shift (I love it on my other DA lenses) + slight IQ improvement + 3 more blades (hopefully better Bokeh)
09-24-2012, 05:24 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
not much good for fauna and flora
That depends on how you approach your subjects:

(hopefully better Bokeh)
The bokeh is good in the macro range, but can be nervous further out.
09-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
This is what I have read, and was making me think this over, but .... I guess also Bokeh is something of Like/Dislike type of things and there is no Ultimate Truth
09-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
That depends on how you approach your subjects:

My compliments! Butterflys are normally long-gone before I'm even within just a few feet of them!
09-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd be tempted to get a longer macro for added flexibility. Unless you really like to get that camera close to the subject, a 50mm macro might be more useful.
09-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'd be tempted to get a longer macro for added flexibility. Unless you really like to get that camera close to the subject, a 50mm macro might be more useful.
Reasoable point! Keep the DA 35 2.4 as all allrounder and get longer 50 or 100 Marco was my initial idea, but somehow I thinkg I would loose walkaround flexibility - guess this was the reason I thought about DA 35 Macro
09-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

The 100mm is not a great walkaround lens - unless you're like me and are walking around taking pictures of bees to submit for the bee survey... It's a decent telephoto, though I'd rather have the 55-300 for that walkaround daytime lens. That said, you can have my FA100 macro when you pry it from my cold (or charred) dead hands.

A 50 might be a good compromise. I'd keep a watch on the marketplace for an FA 50 macro. I'd think you can likely sell it for about the same if you don't like it.