Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
AF to me is a big factor when comparing lenses, as is build quality.

cheers

Neil
I agree. Auto focus is important, particularly with lenses with wide apertures.

10-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I agree. Auto focus is important, particularly with lenses with wide apertures.
Unless, of course, you need critical focus. I seldom use AF with my 77 Limited at portrait distance. The AF system has no clue where I want the point of focus to be and the limited DOF makes it imperative that it be in the right place. An aftermarket fine-grain matte or split/microprism screen is much preferable to AF at apertures f/2.8 and wider, IMHO.

Steve
10-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Unless, of course, you need critical focus. I seldom use AF with my 77 Limited at portrait distance. The AF system has no clue where I want the point of focus to be and the limited DOF makes it imperative that it be in the right place. An aftermarket fine-grain matte or split/microprism screen is much preferable to AF at apertures f/2.8 and wider, IMHO.

Steve
Maybe so. My eyes aren't good enough to manual focus with APS-C viewfinder. I find auto focus to be pretty decent with K5, hopefully with newer cameras, it will get better.

But, I grew up in the era of auto focus and depend on it. There are an awful lot of folks who are like me and this is why there is such a big market for auto focus lenses.
10-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #64
Pentaxian

It probably is.... for me. I am limited to Pentax lenses.

but I like the FA*85 more. But if you factor in size and cost, 77mm wins.
Among FA ltd, 77mm will give u the most "wow"....

10-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #65
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The 77 has remarkable microcontrast and colour rendition. I haven't seen a lens render images better at this focal length. Its AF is quite accurate with all of my Pentax cameras, past and present. Money might be a little tight now, making it a difficult investment decision to make - even if it is a brilliant lens.