Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
How would you rate it in comparison to LR3? Dramatic, marginal, etc. improvement?
It depends.

LR4 has a good range of general lens correction features, including a good set of built-in lens profile fixes (and all sorts of adjustments under 'Lens Corrections > Manual'), and it's fixes for optical problems like CA are more powerful than DxO.

But DxOs automatic optical adjustments include stuff like deconvolution sharpening, for example, that I don't think LR does. And DxOs geometric correction tools make doing all manner of distortion fixes or tweaks easier and more 'controllable' than LR. I particularly like the little 'rectangle' tool in DxO for interactively controlling and adjusting perspective, for example. In LR you only have sliders to work with.

Both tools do OK as packages, but if you really needed geometric corrections, for example, I'd say DxO is significantly better.

But I have both. It's rarely an either/or issue. I swap between them all the time.

10-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've got my eye on two lenses right now in the marketplace, both similarly priced, both within my price range at the moment...

The Sigma 10-20 HSM f/3.5
The Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5

On paper, the Sigma seems like the obvious choice, right??
10-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It depends.

LR4 has a good range of general lens correction features, including a good set of built-in lens profile fixes (and all sorts of adjustments under 'Lens Corrections > Manual'), and it's fixes for optical problems like CA are more powerful than DxO.

But DxOs automatic optical adjustments include stuff like deconvolution sharpening, for example, that I don't think LR does. And DxOs geometric correction tools make doing all manner of distortion fixes or tweaks easier and more 'controllable' than LR. I particularly like the little 'rectangle' tool in DxO for interactively controlling and adjusting perspective, for example. In LR you only have sliders to work with.

Both tools do OK as packages, but if you really needed geometric corrections, for example, I'd say DxO is significantly better.

But I have both. It's rarely an either/or issue. I swap between them all the time.
Thanks, I appreciate the clarity of your explanation. I really value genuine users views on these things because I hate learning new programs and don't like spending more money if I don't have to on it (lets be frank there is no SBA - Software Buying Addiction)
10-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
and don't like spending more money if I don't have to
Neither do I. I keep an eye out for various offers on software, just as with lenses

I originally got DxO during those discount offers that pop up on their site about twice a year, so I think I paid $69 for it, and I only got LR once the price dropped locally to about $100 under some limited time offer. Both have been good investments.

10-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Originally posted by civiletti Sigma 8-16

Why do you suggest that? Sharpest? Fastest? Cheapest?

Sorry, I missed your question. The Sigma 8-16 because it is the widest and has excellent resolution and contrast for an ultrawide.
10-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Sorry, I missed your question. The Sigma 8-16 because it is the widest and has excellent resolution and contrast for an ultrawide.
But wouldn't it be pretty fisheye-ee? That's a word, right?
10-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
But wouldn't it be pretty fisheye-ee? That's a word, right?

Distortion is not bad for an ultrawide. It's less than 1% at 16mm and 12mm, and less than 3% at 8mm. Of course, that can be minimized in post production, though I often find it little problemm in landscape images.