Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
F 50/1.4 Stiff Focusing

So I recently purchased a nice F 50/1.4 for a pretty decent price. Upon receipt of it, I inspected it and it looks great but when I tried it an my K-01, it wouldn't let the camera focus properly. The focusing would kinda get stuck at around 1 meter.
I took the lens of and sure enough, the focus ring gets stiff right there.
Is this very easily repaired, or should I just return it?

09-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have had a lot of success with all kinds of lens repairs except for making the focus smoother. Sometimes I'll find some grit or obstruction to clean, that always helps. If this lens is like my F50/1.7, it shouldn't be that hard to get that far. When it gets down to unscrewing the focus helix, it's a challenge to get back together correctly, hard to find the correct grease, and doesn't always succeed for me. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong. You can unscrew it almost all the way, clean the exposed threads, add new grease and see if it helps, that's easier. The AF lenses also have teeth and gears that must turn smoothly. I think I've had a 50% success with this type of fix.
09-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I wanted to hijack this thread because I was actually just about to post the same issue with my carl zeiss jena sonnar 200mm 2.8. It's a MINT lens but I just don't use t enough and the focus stiffens when it sits. Is tehre someone I can send this to who will be able to operate on it for me? It's too hard to come by in this pristine condition and I don't want to mess it up.

It's usable but the focus gets so stiff if I don't play with it for a while before use that it will want to screw right off the body when trying to focus.
09-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That sucks! I'm expecting that same lens tomorrow morning. You can try to send it to Eric for repair if the price you paid for it was really good. If not i would just return it. About to send you a PM.

09-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Who is Eric and how do I get in touch with him?

Also, I paid less than $20.00 for the mint CZ 200mm 2.8. It was in an ebay lot called camera stuff. I got a few gems inside there, sold the rest for over $400.00 and kept 2-3 hard to find mints.

It's definitely worth the repair cost.

As for the 50m 1.4. Those can be had rather inexpensively on Ebay so I would be more hesitant to repair those. I remember snaggin one on Ebay for 45 bucks in mint shape.
09-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Here is Eric's website. Home He is also a member here on the forum. Unfortunately his wife passed away recently, so it might be a while before he responds to your email.
09-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nmrecording Quote

As for the 50m 1.4. Those can be had rather inexpensively on Ebay so I would be more hesitant to repair those. I remember snaggin one on Ebay for 45 bucks in mint shape.
This is the SMC Pentax-F autofocus version. I would say it's the rarest 50/1.4 Pentax/AOCO made, I've only seen a few of them for sale in the last few years.
I was pretty excited to find this one for a good price but it looks like I'll probably return it
09-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Sorry to hear about your luck. Yeah I overlooked the F. That is a nice lens there.