Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it too. Sadly, the SDM died last Sunday. When it is repaired it will once again become my workhorse for outdoor music festivals.

09-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As a landscape lens, I truly believe this is an excellent lens
Having seen many images from this lens (I've never used it), that's my impression as well. This lens produces images with impressive microcontrast and outstanding color rendition, the two most important factors, in my experience, for producing color landscape images with that special "wow" factor that can lead to sales. The only thing that has kept me from purchasing a copy is the QC problems. If the reports out of Germany of a fix to the wretched focusing design could be verified and I could be certain of acquiring a fixed copy, I would buy the lens in a second.
09-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies!

I am leaning pretty heavily toward the 16-50 at this point.

I examined some of the test photos from the recent Pentax-Sigma-Tamron shootout and found that I did at least prefer the Pentax in the center and edge shots at f/8 over the Sigma. Quite close though.
12-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For what it's worth, my DA*16-50 has returned with a new SDM at no cost to me. That is despite the fact I bought it second hand and the original warrantee is from the U.S.
Now I have two