Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #1

lens serial number and production date?

In a followup to my decentered out of warranty DA21mm Limited lens:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/189189-normal-...21mm-lens.html

I sent the lens in to be evaluated. Eric couldn't fix it, so I sent it to CRIS; they sent it back after working on it for little less than a week. I tested it out and wow they made it much much worse. Whereas the decentration was annoyingly visible in some shots, the "fixed" lens was horrendously bad. I sent it back noting that the problem was worse -- this time they had the lens for about a month trying to fix it, but I guess they gave up on it. Today I received the lens, and to my surprise it was a new DA21. So I guess decentered lenses can't be fixed but it all ended up working for the better, though I haven't had the chance to try out the new lens yet.

Interestingly enough the "new" lens has a lower serial number than the older lens which was purchased in 2009. It also came in a gray box instead of the black box of the original. It looks brand new though -- no scuff marks or signs of wear anywhere. I don't care about the serial number or anything like that, but how is it that I end up with a lower serial number? I thought the serial number referred to production date?

Thank you for answering this probably annoyingly basic question

09-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It is my understanding there is no correlation between serial number and production date for Pentax products.
09-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
It is my understanding there is no correlation between serial number and production date for Pentax products.
That's strange. Oh well. Thanks!!