Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2012, 03:49 AM   #1

looking for a zoom

Hello,

I am looking for a zoom in the range of the 16-50 which performs better than the Pentax WR - a 24-70 could also do its job but only if its faster than f4.

I have heard that the 16-50 WR is really bad wide open which is for me a NO GO since I need it for quick portraits at the longest end.

I do not especially need WR but it would be nice, since I will use it in Jordan. if possible, FF compatible. Price is not important to me.

Thank you for your recommandations!

Olivier

09-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi,
I'm afraid you have no other option in Pentax brand or with WR... However check out this comparison DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Comparison - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
The Sigma and Tamron equivalents are more recommended. There is also a Sigma 24-70 which seems to be recommended by its users.
Good luck with your decision !
09-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm looking for something in this range too. I'm leaning more toward the Pentax 16-50 though as I'm more of a landscape photographer and won't be shooting wide open often. Due to the weather in Alaska, WR is nice to have.

I used a friend's Sigma 17-50 a while ago and liked it. I'd probably go for this unless you really need the WR. I am not a big fan of the Tamron as I found it slow and noisy but maybe there is a different version out now.
09-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by olimatt Quote
I have heard that the 16-50 WR is really bad wide open
says who? and compared to what? in fact, by objective measures it does about as well as any other lens of similar specs - whch is to say, not as good as a prime, perhaps, but still more than good enough portraits. especially for portraits, in fact, as extreme sharpness is rarley desired. Amd actually, its sharpness is very good except in the extreme corners, which are seldom an issue in portraits anyhow. Ut the real question is. Why would ypu be wanting wide / normal zoom instead of one that covers the more usual portrai focal length ranges?