Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
No stage lighting, not normally anyway - these are amateur competitions - like this: Desert JnJ Novice - Bradford Whelan | Event Photography | Wedding Photography | Dance Photography

I'll also be shooting in social situations with lower light levels hence needing to use flash. Try to keep it down though as its annoying. Certainly would be bouncing it to reduce the brightness.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the k30 can do without lighting though!

10-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
so was the shot I posted, just an amature competition.

As for light levels, 1/250th and F2.8 at 1600 ISO is not specifically bright.
10-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I have used the DA35 2.4 for a dance show
Podium westland - a set on Flickr
Het hele Westland danst | By Macario Gomes | Category: Arts & Photography | Blurb

I used it together with my DA16-45 F4. and even though I have a K-7, which is not known for it's low light abillities, I think the results turned out fine.
So I can recomend it to you too
10-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #19
Pentaxian

DA35 F2.4

10-01-2012, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

macario

Like the shots.

It proves the point I was making, stage lighting makes the shots, not flash.
10-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian

yep, let the light work for you, and make the best of it. It gives shots so much mood
10-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Loved the photos guys, so thanks for posting. Unfortunately though we generally don't have studio lighting during comps that I go to (they tend to be in large hotels conference suites).

Hence my friend picking up the f1.4 usm canon lens. But even he was struggling as soon as the lights went down.

I guess whether I resort to flash would depend on a couple of things, including whether I am shooting a competition floor with multiple contestants, or a showcase routine where only one couple is on the floor. Also depends what each event director decides to do with the lighting - some turn it up some turn it down! Hence I am wondering if the extra 150 would be worth it for the Sigma.

However from an optical quality pov clearly the da35 is excellent.
11-02-2012, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxiste

Hi all,

I just saw this thread now and I would add my experience in Dance photography with Pentax.

I've been using mainly my K5 with a 35mm | 2.4 Plastic Wonder recently for this kind of event. I find it a convenient lens because of low light capacity and fast focusing. IQ is quiet good.

Some shots from last event:

Of course I had to crank Iso's a little bit to 800, sometimes 1600 (but I dont like too much noise) and I shoot manual, usually as low as 1/40 | F2.4 | 800 ISO. But I had my best shots at 1/80 | 2.4 or 2.8 and 400 ISO.

I was aiming to have the movement feeling on some of theses pictures as well, so a little blur was ok.

When Static, the dancer is sharp enough for some medium or large prints - I've done up to 50 x 70 cm prints on this serie.

the gallery is here

I am waiting for some manual 50mm 1.4 to come (just bought from fellow pentaxian) because I still thinks Im missing on the low light capacity sometimes.

Next saturday Ill be shooting another dance recital but Ill be going with my Sigma 17-70mm 2.8 | 4 that just come from repairs but I think it wont be better than the Plastic Wonder.
When Im a little more far away from stage I use the Tamron 90mm which is great too !

I'd say for the price of the Plastic Wonder (169 new) you wont regret it, just shoot fully manual to really have the feeling you want on your pictures.