Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

DA40 Ltd cheaper than DA40 xs, any reason ...

... not to plump for the Ltd ? It's 100 yen ( about a dollar ) less expensive than the xs on Amazon Japan at the moment.

Apart from it filling a gap between my 28mm and 55mm primes, the main reason for purchasing is for compactness. I think with either pancake, my K7 will fit in my Snapr case. Useful for my hiking escapades. I'm a huge fan of the old Pentax M and ( especially ) Takumar lenses, for their bullet-proof build, handling and proven longevity as much as for their optics.

I'd read the detailed comparison review of the two current 40mm pancakes, and was pondering if the extra cost for the metal-bodied Ltd was worth it, when I found out it is actually cheaper. Am I missing something, or is it, as they say, a no-brainer ? If anyone is using a similar combination with a Snapr case and has any feedback I'd be very interested to hear it, too.

Thanks

Paul

09-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes advertisers make mistakes. Grab the DA 40 before they catch it. Just checked the US Amazon site. Its definitely the other way around here.
09-29-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, no mistake, it's the same price at other shops here too. Not sure why ! The xs lens alone is priced almost the same as a K01/xs set, which admittedly are being discounted everywhere.

Hmm maybe I should buy the set and sell the K01 body... <ponders>

Paul
09-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Paul, when buying either the DA 40 LTD or the XS, make sure you read the listing specifications carefully and make sure it is the DA 40 LTD you are buying.
There have been cases of DA 40 LTDs being listed on Ebay with stock photos of the DA 40 LTD, but upon further reading the listing specifications, the product number and everything was for the DA XS lens. (and I believe it was the XS that those who brought it received)

09-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Julie, thanks, good general point. This is Amazon though, direct sale, and it's the limited. Also, it's the same price ( near enough ) at bricks and mortar stores, so it's not a weird price. There is no eBay in Japan.

Still interested if there is any reason to plump for the xs, other than size ( I think the Ltd is small enough ! ) or the rounded aperture blades ( I'm not sure I value this over the Ltd's other advantages )

Paul
09-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I can't speak for the XS, but the LTD is already small enough for me- if it were any smaller, I'd probably lose it in my camera bag! The metal build quality is also very nice for the LTDs.
I'm not up-to-date with current retail prices, but if I remember correctly, the DA XS was released at somewhere around $250 while the retail for the LTD was $500 (even though many places aren't charging the full retail price). The $250 difference must imply that there is a difference between the lenses that makes the LTD better.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-40mm-F2.8-Limited-Pancake-Lens.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/smc-pentax-da-40mm-f2.8-xs.html
09-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
DA 40 LTDs being listed on Ebay
I bought one, only the listing clearly spec'd out a 40 LTD, new, unopened, in box, full warranty, and they sent an XS out of a K01 kit, no manual, no warranty card, nothing. I was scammed. Working on ebay resolution, thinking about calling the District Attorney in New Jersey, which is where the scumbag seller is from.
09-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Go for it! Dxomark did not like the newer version.

09-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sankon, if you go to Fujiya Camera in Nakano or Map Camera in Shinjuku then you can pick up a new 40 XS for 16,800 yen.

These are lenses bought as part of the K-01 kit and then sold at the time of purchase....kind of like a cash back type effort.

I bought one from Fujiya and it's a good little lens.

No doubt the Ltd. is better made, but the XS is a optically sound.
09-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Dxomark did not like the newer version.
Adding link to their review:

DxOMark - Pentax?s new pancake lens falls flat

The XS scored better overall for having better transmission and less vignetting, but scored less than the DA Limited in the areas of CA and resolution.
09-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Sankon, if you go to Fujiya Camera in Nakano or Map Camera in Shinjuku then you can pick up a new 40 XS for 16,800 yen.

These are lenses bought as part of the K-01 kit and then sold at the time of purchase....kind of like a cash back type effort.

I bought one from Fujiya and it's a good little lens.

No doubt the Ltd. is better made, but the XS is a optically sound.
Mickey, thanks, had been looking at those. I spend far too much time ( and ) in Fujiya Camera

The Ltd is about 26,800 on Amazon, the XS a little more. Fujiya has a used Ltd for 18,600, and as you say, XS ones broken out from the kits for a little less. Decisions, decisions.

Paul
09-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
... I went to Fujiya Camera today.

As well as the above, where indeed, a new XS also cost more than a new Ltd, they had a used (AB rank, no pouch ) Ltd for 18,600 and two ( A rank, mint ) used XS for 13,600 each. I tried all three used ones on a loaner K7. The Ltd is a lovely item. I was tempted. Too close to the new price though, and without the pouch or box, so I passed. I bought an XS. For half the price of a new XS ( or new Ltd ) it seems a good deal. Also, mounted on the K7, with the crazy lens cap on too, it just all fits in my Snapr case. PERFECT ! The Ltd, only a little longer but noticeable, was a struggle - rather like my jeans after Christmas dinner. Possible, but not comfortable

Paul
09-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Go for it! Dxomark did not like the newer version.
Thanks for the link. Actually they scored it overall a little higher than the Ltd, with the comment :

QuoteQuote:
... we discovered there was just a marginal improvement in the XS from its eight-year-old predecessor the smc Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited.
They don't seem over impressed with either of them actually

Paul
10-01-2012, 03:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well done mate.
I would probably have passed on the Ltd. without the pouch and box, too.
I think a Ltd. should have all the extras with it...mind you, they sell pouches across the road in the junk shop.
10-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Quick update that the XS ( outlet, ie, brand new, guaranteed, broken out from the camera kits ) is down to 14,800 at Fujiya now.

The "non outlet" retail boxed XS is now priced at the same as the 40Ltd, 27,800. Which makes the outlet price exceptional, unless you want to pay 13,000 yen for a cardboard box !

I like this lens, it's a good focal length and allows the K7 to fit into the same Snapr case as my old X100.

Paul