Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
which has better color?

hello to all i' m new here just what my status says below my name .

anyway i' ve read the technical review for the tamron, pentax & sigma 17-50 lens.

& as for a newbie like me i' m having a hard time trying to absorb the technical details & data being presented in that review.

as funny as it may seems every one here started with a single step towards photography right?

So to get things straight honestly i really like the review about the three lenses but of all the technicalities mentioned in that review.

i think the way the lens renders color was some how missed out or maybe not mentioned directly.

like for instance which lens has better color even if its sharp or not right?

as i have said i' m a newbie & newbies like me just want to take good looking pictures & pictures look really great because of their color.

i hope someone out there would try to shed some light on this matter.

thanks anyways any help will do & be very much appreciated.

God bless

09-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Colours from lenses are important, but as far as I'm concerned recent lenses from all three of the brands mentioned are good to very good for them, and the question is a little moot as long as you use post production - faststone is a good place to start with free software. FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...

In case you don't know already it's better to remove one colour than add another - for example, I love my Sigma 24-70 but I find I often need to remove a little blue from the pictures, which then makes them look much more pleasing.

And you're right; we were all beginners once so no need to apologise for being one yourself, especially when you're asking a decent question.
09-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by saudiboypalaboy Quote
hello to all i' m new here just what my status says below my name .

Welcome to the forum. For the record I grew up (partly) in Ras Tanura. It would be interesting to chat with you more about the KSA!

I am still a new photographer myself---been at it 6 months...actually a bit longer...

I will share my experience so you can hear my side of things...however right or wrong they may be.

A lot of people get hung up on technical stuff. Yes, you do need to know your camera and gear so buy some books and read up on things. You probably don't need to worry at this time what kind of lens or pixel renders the best shade of blue... but you do need to learn basics and fundamentals...such as depth of field and so forth...

In short I personally bought and read about 4 or 5 books about photography before I ever bought a DSLR. I am glad I did because largely I got what I wanted from the get go. That being said, you will always be learning new things.

If you have a big budget then by all means don't worry...just buy a variety of lenses, but if you are penny pinching that's something different.

Again, after buying my camera I bought a several more books that were in essence art books--but were more about how photography is art and describes the elements of it and so forth. Its my opinion but a lot of people get caught up on the technical manuals and less caught up on the artistic side of things. The angle of view on the lenses and the perspective you shoot from and various 'basics' are more important to understand.

Just remember, back in the 1970s, 80's and even in the 90's people did it all manually. Even though I bought a lot of stuff now (and want more) I am proactively trying to look at my subjects artistically. To me, its more important.

Good lenses though are definitely a good thing to have, but unfortunately I have not found any way around the whole trial and error thing. Whatever lens you have on your camera there is something to be learned from it if you slow down and pay attention. My experience is that reading and practicing are the most effective things. Photography is a brain sport.

A tamron 17-50 is great. I have one. I love it. Some technicals are 'need to know' and other technicals are 'nice to know'...

Once again I am new myself so take it for what its worth.
09-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i think the way the lens renders color was some how missed out or maybe not mentioned directly.
Color rendition is the least appreciated aspect of lens performance. It tends not to be mentioned in reviews because (1) color rendition is considered "subjective," merely a matter of taste; and (2) some people think one can do just as well by manipulating images in post. My own experience that, however "subjective" color rendition may be, people tend to prefer landscapes and wildlife images from a lens with distinctive, tasteful color rendition than from lenses that are inferior in this respect. I get more compliments and sell more images from my best color rendering lenses. People really appreciate nature images with outstanding color, and there's no better way to get outstanding color than to use lenses with outstanding color rendition.

As for Tamron, Sigma, and Pentax standard f2.8 zooms, they all seem to be quite good. Personally, I prefer the DA 16-50, which strikes me as the best lens of the bunch. Not only better color rendition than the others, but from what I have seen from images taken with that lens, outstanding micro contrast as well. It's only the poor QC of the lens, with all the associated SDM horrors, that has kept me from acquiring it.

In the end, you'll have to track down, on the internet, as many images from these lenses as you can find and make up your mind for yourself which lens best fits your needs and aesthetic tastes.

09-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Pentax lenses have long been known for it's richer colors and higher contrast although each lens really has to be compared on it's own. When I go through my older shots, the originals before PP, I can almost always pick out my DA 40 and DA 15 shots with just a glance of the screen. However, it's a simple enough task to correct color today with a program like Lightroom and as mentioned, it is a very subjective because everyone has different preferences. Most RAW editors have a default setting and you see the color rendition the programer thinks is a good starting point. This is brought up often with people noticing that what they see on the camera LCD isn't what's on the computer screen. Follow that up with the differences in monitors, graphics chips and you soon discover that color issues can be coming from all sources with the camera lens being just one.
09-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
wow 4 responses it seems that i'm not alone with this color dilemma, honestly guys as for starters like me, I also call myself as an enthusiasts or someone who just love to do things for other people even its for free & in my part i'm into taking pictures i agree with alamo5000 photography has always been connected with art & what better art there is, than having a lot of people appreciate it & for me that where colors comes in to the scene the more pleasing colors your shots have the more people will like it makes sense right.
yet still it defends as for what northcoastgreg said its a subjective matter in photography.

PP software wildweasel? hmmm actually i'm not in to that, for now i prefer photos fresh out of the camera funny right?

why? because first of all i have no idea on how to do it & second for me the skill of the photographer is alot more enhanced by using the camera alone the more you know how to manipulate your camera I think the better pictures you can take & if you can take good pictures with out PP what more you can do if you know how to PP your photos.

I agree with wildweasel about sigma i really like the sigma in terms of focusing speed on lowlight & sharpness but about the color i find it kind the hard a bit lifeless & sometimes dark i dont why but i think thats where the subjective thing comes in that is why its still in my list of lenses that i liked.

I like the tammy's color rendition it is as if it always shows a healthy environment or a happy place with alot of color & details to look at i find it quite attractive too, most specially if you are someone who happens to pass by & instantly notices a photo taken with a tammy i think its because of its colors.

the only thing i dont like about tammy is the way it focuses & sometimes colors are a bit bright or think its just me.

as for pentax lovely & full of life right now i have this F50 F1.7 which i bought on ebay for 200 dollars kind a expensive but i think its worth having it around very good for portraits & candids

but sadly being in saudi arabia is not a good place for a photo hobbyist because they prohibit taking photos here in public places sad but true.

thanks guys now i know that there's more to it than just colors & having people looking at my photos!
09-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I was like that for a while, in as much as I didn't like to PP. Then I discovered that an additional couple of minutes on each shot makes them so much better - just sorting out colour, adding a touch of sharpening and playing with contrast can turn an ok shot into a great one. That said, I'm glad I didn't use PP for a while for the same reasons you've quoted; but then again, my camera did stay on 'M' mode for the first year and I only used m lenses, including adjusting aperture on the lens.
09-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If you browse through your camera menu, you find that there is a lot of PP going on already if you shoot JPEG's. There are several pages worth of settings to read about in your manual. If you can remember, you can change your contrast up and down for whatever each lens needs. Maybe another needs more sharpness. Some lenses seem to shoot a little warmer or cooler color temp. For me, I have to look in my wallet for my phone number. Most of my settings are the defaults and I shoot RAW now. There is a learning curve with PP I'll admit but it's worthwhile learning.

10-01-2012, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
where colors comes in to the scene the more pleasing colors your shots have the more people will like it makes sense right.
Yes, but the lens is only around 1% of the color equation. The sensor and processing applied is the rest of the 99%. Someone cares aout color eould be a fool to try to control it only by fiddling with the 1%.

QuoteQuote:
or now i prefer photos fresh out of the camera funny right?
Not funny, but counterproductive and also a bit misguided. When producing RAW image, the camera only does part of the job of convertng the sensor data into a usable image. Or, if you let the camera produce a JPEG, that's the equivalent of sending your film to the nearest 7-Eleven for processing. Sure, you'll get a picture, but if you care about color as mich as you say you do, surely you'll want to take more control than that?

Trying to control color by chooising a lens - which affects color only to about 1% - and then lettng the cameradefault JPEGprocessong do whatever it wants with the other 99% makes no sesne whatever. i mean, again, you,ll get an image, but you,ve just completely wasted your time and money trying to control that 1% of the color by choosing the "right" lens if you're going to give up control of 99% of the color.