Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #16

Going against the main stream of advice, I'd say go for a lens, (although you already have a decent selection to start with,) rather than a flash, because the pro looks your wife likes are difficult to achieve w/ less than three flashes, and go for an f/1.4. (Don't go for extremely wide; small rooms or not, shots from very close make even the cutest babies look grotesque!) Your likely choices are 30, 50, 55, or 85s by Pentax, Sigma or Samyang. Consider SDM (if your budget can handle it) or manual focus for quietness and unobtrusiveness; these will become more important as the baby becomes more aware. If you go for manual focus there are many choices, some of which can be both fast and inexpensive, especially if you're willing to buy used.

If you decide to go with flash anyway, go for a unit that can be triggered wirelessly by the built-in flash. The combo of the built-in, supplying fill and catchlight, and a bounced off-camera unit will work well without lots of complications and trailing cables.

10-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Remember that ANY flash is a major improvement from the pop up flash.
The only other reasonable option would be a fast lens like the DA 50/1.4 or the sigma 30/1.4 if you prefer a wider lens.

I'd go for a triggerable flash

Seb.
10-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've got limited time to go thru my more current photos, but for dad to be, here is a old thread I stated in another forum, with bits and pieces regarding taking photos for children.

The "Taking photos of my child" thread - Page 5

Hope it will be helpful to you.
10-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for the valid suggestions to my questions. Today my wife gave birth at home to our wonderful daughter who posed perfectly for some snaps so it bodes well for the future.

As a result of the contributions in this thread I have on order a second hand Pentax AF360 flash from Ebay which I'm looking forward to playing with soon. Once I'm up to speed I'll be looking at some cheap ebay light boxes, reflectors and stands.
I also treated myself to a Lensbaby composer. It was a want, not a need but I figure if I'm going to spend a lot more of my days at home with the little one, the lensbaby should keep me playing with the camera in new ways around the house.

10-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #20
Site Supporter

My baby hates flashes. You have fast glass and a camera good at high ISO settings. You might want to try no flash. I usually shoot with my K5 at 1/60 sec at f 2.8 and ISO 1600-2000. The pictures come out great. You might want to consider a wider faster lens you can shoot mostly or all the way open without too much sharpness lost. There are cheap ones that fit the bill (DA L 35) and expensive (FA 31 Limited).
10-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the new daughter!
10-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #22
Site Supporter

How about a tripod?
10-04-2012, 03:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Congratulations! If you're going to be doing all that light modification, you should try moving the flash off-camera with either a sync cord or wireless trigger/receiver. The AF360 only tilts and does not swivel (side to side), which is a big reason why I went with a Metz 48 instead.

10-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Yongnuo flashes are cheap & powerful and some of them have excellent build quality, if you're prepared to set everything manually. This may seem daunting, but it takes very little practice and allows you to shoot faster as you don't have to wait for the PTTL pre-flash. It's been indispensible for shots of my nephews.
10-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #25

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Wireless is definitely on the cards. Got a couple of tripods already.
2 days into this whole baby thing and not much time for photos yet, apart from quick ones but once things settle, I'm on it.
10-05-2012, 03:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matt_not_andrew Quote
Wireless is definitely on the cards. Got a couple of tripods already.
2 days into this whole baby thing and not much time for photos yet, apart from quick ones but once things settle, I'm on it.
There will be time for photos, no worries there. The good thing about this stage is that they just lie there, so they're easy to photograph. The bad thing about this stage is that...they just lie there, so the photographic content might not be as interesting as a baby who's learning to sit up, crawl, pull up to standing, etc. My wife is due with our second in mid-November and I'm planning on getting lots of poignant shots of wife/me/daughter/others holding said baby, perhaps with a nice backdrop and definitely with off-camera flash.
10-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member

For relatively close-up portraits I'd use the Tamron 17-50 in the 24-35mm range at f/3.2 or f/3.5. I find mine ever so slightly soft wide open. Also you may want to double check its focus accuracy. Lighting...that's its own story.
10-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a suggestion for using flash. Turn the flash head to fire into a corner of the room if the walls are a neutral colour, and turn the power down to -1 or even -2. This will give you great fill light, and the flash is close to daylight white balance. Shooting into a corner behind you and off to one side gives a natural looking light from a really inexpensive outfit.