Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #1

Is this lens actually Pentax mount?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been looking around at the lower-cost manual primes available here, and came across this on a local auction site. Perhaps not good quality, but a handy 50mm f/2 to leave tucked in the bag for occasional use, if safe to use on the camera. I'm told Miranda lenses were related to Soligor, but can't find the reference Googling. Is it usable on Pentax body, and is it worth even the $30.00 asked? Thanks.

Regards, Dave.

09-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like KM to me. Probably worth more like $15. The lens itself is probably a Chinon.
09-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I would pay $10 to $15 dollars tops for that.
You can get a Pentax SMC M 50mm 1.7 for something around 30 dollars (thats the price i paid for mine).
09-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That mount is exactly the same as my Sears 50mm f/1.7 and Sears 50mm f/2.0 (including the red dot). I suspect its Tokina or Ricoh make. I do have a Sears 1.7 that came off a Chinon-clone KS Super II, and its mount looks nothing like that. The Chinon-clone 50 also has half stop aperture clicks which its brother lacks, and a closer MFD.

If you do a bit of local digging or prowl eBay enough, you could probably snag a manual 1.7 for half that cost. Both my 1.7's cost me $15 - one off eBay, one from a local Goodwill. My 2 manual 2.0's (Sears and Pentax-M) cost me even less, since both came bundled on cameras that cost $15 or less alone.

Last edited by Sagitta; 09-30-2012 at 12:31 PM.
09-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You can find a Pentax A 50 f2 in that price range, which gives you the convenience of automatic metering. If you were in the US, I'd sell you mine.
09-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
That mount is exactly the same as my Sears 50mm f/1.7 and Sears 50mm f/2.0 (including the red dot). I suspect its Tokina or Ricoh make. I do have a Sears 1.7 that came off a Chinon-clone KS Super II, and its mount looks nothing like that. The Chinon-clone 50 also has half stop aperture clicks which its brotehr lacks, and a closer MFD.

If you do a bit of local digging or prowl eBay enough, you could probably snag a manual 1.7 for half that cost. Both my 1.7's cost me $15 - one off eBay, one from a local Goodwill. My 2 manual 2.0's (Sears and Pentax-M) cost me even less, since both came bundled on cameras that cost $15 or less alone.
This is why I say it is a Chinon...

Miranda Camera from Dixons UK

I believe the KS Super II was a Ricoh. The KSX-P was a Chinon clone.

The mount looks like my Sears 50/1.7 except for the placement of the red dot and the fact that the 1.7 has a larger rear element.
09-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
This is why I say it is a Chinon...

Miranda Camera from Dixons UK

I believe the KS Super II was a Ricoh. The KSX-P was a Chinon clone.

The mount looks like my Sears 50/1.7 except for the placement of the red dot and the fact that the 1.7 has a larger rear element.
Oh, duh... the Chinon lens wasn't from the KS - I mistyped there. When I acquired the thing I went searching and it seems to have come from the KSX-P. I was after the 135mm macro that was with it, and ignored the lens for a few days until I took a real good look at the thing and realzied I had something unexpected. Regardless, the lens in the OP still isn't worth $30.

Chinon clone camera kit lens to the right, Ricoh clone camera kit lens to the left. Its the lens to the left that has the same mount as the one in the OP

09-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Oh, duh... the Chinon lens wasn't from the KS - I mistyped there. When I acquired the thing I went searching and it seems to have come from the KSX-P. I was after the 135mm macro that was with it, and ignored the lens for a few days until I took a real good look at the thing and realzied I had something unexpected. Regardless, the lens in the OP still isn't worth $30.

Chinon clone camera kit lens to the right, Ricoh clone camera kit lens to the left. Its the lens to the left that has the same mount as the one in the OP

Whatever...the fact still remains that the lens in question isn't a $30 lens. I paid $5, $10 after shipping, for my Sears 1.7.
09-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
Elliott - And if I was in the US - I'd buy it, at anything like that price! A local shop here has an M 50mm f/2 for $120.00, and Gabriell's idea of an M 50mm f/1.7 would be rather more... I'm trying to buy local, in Sydney or at least Oz, so I can pay by bank-deposit, as while I see excellent items in my price-range on-forum here, the sellers usually want PayPal, and being on disability pension, I don't nowadays have credit-cards to do that. Probably Western Union (there's an agent on my street corner) wouldn't suit them.

(If Western Union was acceptable, I'd use it - and yes, I do know about the fees! Buying on-forum would still be far less than buying here - e.g. an as-new Pentax 55-300mm full DA for $325.00, recently. Here, that lens is $670.00 - + $70.00 to extend the 12-months warranty to 3 years [same as the extension for my K30] )

I do have a Tak SMC 55mm f/1.8 in unused condition (donated by my landlord) - but the "affordable" $30.00 locally bought adapter - "ANS - Japan" - had a sort of squiggly fragile spring that was 'hooking' getting it off the camera, the 2 times I used it and I was scared it'd jam or damage something. I returned it for a no-problems refund. However, while the Tak was on the K30, I followed the Instructions on-forum here, and it worked beautifully.

The same place is about to get a shipment of genuine "Pentax - Philippines" adapters with Warranty - and those will be $89.00.

That's a bit like the genuine Pentax Li-Ions for K30 - they're $122.00 here. I've converted to Eneloops - the genuine Pentax adapter was "only" $62.00.

So long as this Miranda clone-of-whatever is safe to use, I'll probably get it, unless there's another reason not to.

Thanks for all the so-rapid replies - very much appreciated!

Regards, Dave.
09-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by exwintech Quote
*snip*
Well if it shares the same mount, I'll assume its the same rebadged lens as my Sears is, in which case it should be more than decent for your needs if you're willing to drop the extra cash on it.

My 1.7 is one of my go-to lenses when I need it, and has served me very well indeed.

If you get the chance, prowl local Goodwills (or whatever the Aussie equivalent is) - since the 50mm was the most common kit lens back in the day, there tend to be a lot floating around the used market which helps keep the cost for them down.
09-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Look on ebay, $120 for an F2 is a rip.

I'm in Aust and I recently bought a Pentax ME film camera with a Pentax-A 50mm F2 for $40.

Just search ebay for Pentax film cameras and buy one, then if you don't want the body re-sell it.

edit:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pentax-A-1-2-50mm-suits-MZ-7-Camera-see-my-other-...#ht_500wt_1203
09-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #12

It looks to me like the guard for the diaphragm control lever has been ground down. I would make sure that the control lever is intact and working before buying it.
09-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have, what is supposed to be, a Miranda 50mm f1.9. It is a very odd lens, producing a very artistic effect (if you do the right PP) and it is surprisingly sharp. I read posts in this thread telling you to get a Pentax M 50mm f1.7 instead, which is good advice, but from my experience the M costs twice as much as this Miranda. I think old Pentax lenses are going up in cost recently, they are not as cheap as they used to be. Is this Miranda worth $30? Well, 30 for a lens really isn't much. If you want this lens for fun, for learning, for experimenting, then yes. If you want a lens that you will rely on as your main lens, I would suggest an actual Pentax lens. Also, there is quite a difference between f2.0 and f1.7, not necessarily in brightness, but in overall IQ and sharpness
10-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I passed on an M 50mm f1.7 on an A3000 body today for $30 at a local thrift store, unless you desperately need it, I'd keep shopping for a better deal. There was a whole pile of Pentax stuff that just came in, I decided I wasn't going to spend more than $20 though, so I only came home with a Yashinon DS 50mm f1.9, Vivitar macro focusing teleconverter and a Star-D teleconverter that I will remove the glass from to make an extension tube.
10-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for all that very welcome advice, everyone. While I don't have a "charity shop" in this area that has cheap old cameras and lenses, more things are turning up on the local auction site.

Such as an M42 50mm f/1.4 for $100.00, M-series 28mm f/2.8 for $90.00, an MZ-50 with Sigma 100-300mm and 28-80mm for $25.00 - I have both of those lenses, Pentax Lens Vivitar Large Telephoto 300MM 1:5.5 Auto for $45.00, so on.

From the pix shown, the Vivitar looks to be as "like new" as claimed, and has the tripod collar Googling says it should have. But there are references to that lens being T-mount, though is claimed to be 'Pentax mount'. If it was - it's likely a rather better to-300mm lens than the old Sigma 100-300 DL I have. Shall try to get some more info on it.

So - the 'bargains' are around - and of course the sellers tend to claim they're 'excellent' and 'like new', which I'd take with a large helping of caution...

The database here values the M-series 28mm f/2.8 at $52.00 - so $90.00 is a bit of an ask - unless that's actually a pretty good lens.

Shall keep looking....

Regards, Dave.