Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Based on your original post, I would suggest that any focal length from 18mm through 55mm probably is not what you are looking for as you stated clearly that you have put that range of focal lengths back in the box.

So, in the 55-300 range, which based on your original post, you do like, there are several very good lenses. I would suggest the FA 77mm Limited or DA 70 Limited as a starting point. The D FA 100mm Macro is another terrific lens that would work. The DA* 200mm and DA* 300mm are superb long range telephotos that fits right in your sweet spot.

I would also mention that the DA 15mm is probably a good choice to compliment your fish eye.

Obviously, which of these you may want to chose first will depend on your personal shooting style. It may help you to go back through your previous images and identify the images you like, and what focal length was used for the capture. You will probably get a feel for your sweet spot and you can then start there.

Good luck and good shootin'

10-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're likely to spend time goofing around with filters, remember that the limiteds (with the exception of the FA31) all have the same thread size, which is a great feature.
Starting with either the DA15 or DA21 would be an excellent start.

Despite loving my DA15 to death, I would suggest the DA21 as your first wide angle limited prime; it's smaller, faster, and not *too* wide. Its angle of view matches what I see with the naked eye very well, so it's intuitive to use. When I look at shots taken with my 16-50, I'm frequently struck by how many are taken at exactly 21mm. Your DA10-17 covers ultra-wide already.
10-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
RIght now 99% of the time I am shooting a zoom. I have a tamron 17-50 that is usually my go to lens. While not always that way, I probably take more shots at 17mm than any other focal length. I am leaning heavily towards the 15mm limited as my christmas present but I am not versed in primes so much. The 21mm I could probably make use of too.
Based on this newer information, the DA15 is almost certainly your answer. It will actually complement the Tamron 17-50 by performing better that it (or any standard zoom) plus go a little bit wider. And it's so small it's easy to carry around. It has well controlled edge distortion for such a wide lens, gives brilliant color, and can focus very close (which you'll often want to do with it's wide angle). In fact, the color rendering is similar to the DA10-17, but even slightly better.

If you don't want wide, then some "10 star" lenses would be DA*55, FA77 Ltd, DA*50-135, DA*200, DA*300.
10-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
DA15ltd, FA35/2 and FA77ltd, and I could probably walk the world.
Swap the FA35 for the DA35/2.4 or FA31ltd according to budget.

Not sure about your preference though.... (they seem pretty high, tbh... )

10-02-2012, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
All the limiteds whether DA or FA are metal and the best quality for the given aperture and focal length. They ain't the fastest primes available though - if you consider something like the FA50 - that's a 1.4, but it's not so good until f/2.8 or if being very critical, f/8. The limiteds are very usable from wide open, so in practice, they're faster because there's no need to stop down.

PS: I wouldn't read the comments about money / tripods / kit lenses above as intended to be insulting. I've done paid architectural shoots with my 18-55 lens and a tripod and a circular polarizer and no-one ever complained about image quality. I consider the importance of various technical goodies to getting the shot to be Tripod > Filter > Lighting > Flash > Lens > Camera. It's just that lenses are the most fun.
I agree with your hierarchy of what is important. While I was somewhat annoyed with the original posting, my comments were also intended to be instructional.

I'm an old fart, and I sometimes get fed up with people assuming that buying another lens will bring them results that can only be achieved by getting the basics right. I get even more fed up with people who encourage those assumptions.

I've seen a lot of drivel on various internet forums about lenses that are going to make everything wonderful as well as curing baldness. It gets very, very tiresome after a while.

As someone who has spent a good deal of time helping others learn photography, I don't care much about individual equipment choices. I do care about sticking to the facts and leading people to approaches that will make photography a rich creative experience rather than an exercise in consumerism.

The OP gave the impression that he was completely sucked in by the magical best lens blah blah blah. My comments were intended in part to sharply get his and others' attention and steer the discussion to the real world. Happily that seems to be happening.
10-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
about lenses that are going to make everything wonderful as well as curing baldness.
I'm intrigued - where can I get such a lens? JK
10-02-2012, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I was asking about the products in the line up not for two cents on this. I might not get any lens. I don't know.

Please, for future reference please keep these kinds of comments to yourself. You have no idea who I am working with or how I am working my system to get better at photography.
Er... if you read the rest of my post you can see that I did provide my opinions on lenses. Guess you're time is too important to read pass a couple sentences. Or you just want to sound like an ass by quoting statements that you don't agree with. You sound like you haven't really grown up at all, please be more respectful to other people even if you don't agree with someone's opinion, because YOU have no idea who I am working with or how I am working my system.

Cheers

10-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'll throw a slight oddball into the bunch--the DA35 Macro. Quite versatile, very sharp, highly resistant to flare, limited CA. Cons: Long focus throw, "dark," iffy bokeh if you aren't shooting macro (w/macro bokeh is quite nice).

I also have the DA21. Not the sharpest but rendering is quite nice and a very useful focal length for a prime.
10-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like my prime line up: DA 15 limited, FA 31 limited, DA *55, FA 77 limited, and D FA 100mm WR macro. All in all, the only real gap is between the 15 and 31 and I don't shoot much in that range (if I do, I use my 16-50).

As to which lens to buy first, it really does depend on which focal length you like shooting the most. The other thing to be warned about the 15mm is that it really is an out doors, landscape type lens. It's pretty slow at f4 and edges are kind of soft there too. If you want indoor lens, looking at the DA 14 might be better.
10-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I really like my prime line up: DA 15 limited, FA 31 limited, DA *55, FA 77 limited, and D FA 100mm WR macro. All in all, the only real gap is between the 15 and 31 and I don't shoot much in that range (if I do, I use my 16-50).
Definitely room for the DA21 and FA43 in that line-up
And the DA15 isn't too shabby indoors. OK, not tack sharp at the edges, but this is wide open and I think depth of field limitations may be at play too....
For bonus points: guess the show and pick out some of the key characters
Attached Images

10-03-2012, 04:42 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Definitely room for the DA21 and FA43 in that line-up
And the DA15 isn't too shabby indoors. OK, not tack sharp at the edges, but this is wide open and I think depth of field limitations may be at play too....
For bonus points: guess the show and pick out some of the key characters
Les Miserables?
10-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Les Miserables?
Bingo!
Now pick my daughter and which role she plays
10-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know if it's likely to be an issue, but I wouldn't get both the DA15/4 and DA21/3.2 at the same time. I would be caught up in the choice between them rather than getting comfortable with one focal length, the whole idea of a prime in the first place. This pair in particular are both small so I'd always have them, and probably be swapping constantly instead of shooting.
10-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Pentaxforums built the lens database for a reason....if you're wondering about the best lenses and want 100s of opinions about them, why not browse there.
10-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #30

You're mistaken on the kit lens. It's actually a great performer, especially given the price. Don't confuse prestige with great picture recording ability.