Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

lens baby vs photoshop

i have good finger dexterity, so using a lens baby will be cake

i'm also pretty good with photoshop, so working with images is also cake

should i dump the 170 dollars on a Lensbaby 2.0???

02-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought the 1.0 a while back. Figured, if effect is what I'm after, effect is what I get. It's easy to use and I got the hang of it quickly.

You can get similar but not identical effects via PS. For me one doesn't replace the other.
02-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

The Lensbaby 3.0 will keep its settings with the three knobs. This makes it a bit easier to get repeat images.
02-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote

Here is one way to think about this, do you want to spend your time in PS, or taking picture?

02-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have lensbaby 2.0, I use it often and I find it absolute pleasure and fun to use.

I read somewhere long time ago (don't quote me on exact words), but from renown top Photoshop expert, who in their interview about lensbaby said - sure, the results can come close to what this lens can do in PP, but, nothing, and nothing can replace the real capture with the real lens...

If you like how the world looks through your viewfinder, then "what you see is what you get" with the lensbaby is exactly that! You choose the scene, you choose the subject, you bend the lens and shift the focus where you feel it is the most appropriate - instant gratification and a sense of accomplishment!

What I've noticed, that ever since I got this lens, being 100% manual to every detail, and you have to really compose your shot well as you see it fit, it really affected me how I approach a subject with this and any other lens now...

BTW, B&H price on 2.0 is $149 (now with free shipping), and KEH had few "Original" lensbabies in stock in LN at $72. Original version - not as sharp as 2.0, but more of a "Canvas effect" though...

No regrets for me, love this little thing.

Regards,
D
02-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
Here is one way to think about this, do you want to spend your time in PS, or taking picture?
but i like playing around in photoshop...
02-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
I have lensbaby 2.0, I use it often and I find it absolute pleasure and fun to use.

I read somewhere long time ago (don't quote me on exact words), but from renown top Photoshop expert, who in their interview about lensbaby said - sure, the results can come close to what this lens can do in PP, but, nothing, and nothing can replace the real capture with the real lens...

If you like how the world looks through your viewfinder, then "what you see is what you get" with the lensbaby is exactly that! You choose the scene, you choose the subject, you bend the lens and shift the focus where you feel it is the most appropriate - instant gratification and a sense of accomplishment!

What I've noticed, that ever since I got this lens, being 100% manual to every detail, and you have to really compose your shot well as you see it fit, it really affected me how I approach a subject with this and any other lens now...

BTW, B&H price on 2.0 is $149 (now with free shipping), and KEH had few "Original" lensbabies in stock in LN at $72. Original version - not as sharp as 2.0, but more of a "Canvas effect" though...

No regrets for me, love this little thing.

Regards,
D
thanks D, great advice.
02-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just bought a Lensbaby 3-G a week ago.

I don't have any images to post yet, but I do like what I've seen so far.

I'm glad I got the 3-G with its locking ability, as I do most of my shooting on a tripod, and with slow shutter speeds.

The bokeh at f2.0 is wild!

So far, I like the look of the results @ f4.0 the best, but I'm still exploring this lens.

It's good to get back to a 100% manual lens after relying on auto focus and aperture priority since I got into digital a little over a year ago.

Hopefully, I'll have some images to post this weekend.

It's an unusual, yet nice little lens.

Mike