Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Which wide angle for interior shots like in this link

Been approached to maybe undertake a countrywide photo shoot of a company's products in situ to best represent their business to attract the attention of interior designers and architects. Essentially they supply chairs to bars/hotels etc... and want something very similar to this:Recent Contracts :: Inside Out Contracts

My immediate thought turns to the Pentax 12-24 and maybe the 15mm limited though I'm at the mercy of the venues interior walls with a fixed prime.
Shots have to be of the best possible IQ and colours. What would be your choice and is there another option I should consider ?

10-02-2012, 05:55 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I have a Sigma 10-20 and have used a 15mm quite a bit. The DA15 is an amazing lens, really sharp and good contrast, but it is a little soft in the corners and I found that for interior shots I was always reaching for my 10-20. I have not used the 12-24, but it gets very good reviews around here and you can find many sample photos. Hope this helps.
10-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
Banned

The best available optical lens for wider angles would be the Zeiss 28mm f2.0 - also noting that it is manual focus, but... With that type of available aperature range or also a decent pair of sticks; one can get good depth of field - even indoors. Enough depth of field that one rarely even has to focus. But if 28mm is not quite wide enough yet, and IF one has the computer resources available to do it... Then I'd even go for a higher focal length and then stich it all together later.

Just two bad things about stitching though... It takes an above average eye for having the horizon as close to perfect as possible. Indoors it should not be much of an issue, but try all of that on a steep setting outdoors and then having to adapt the horizon as one pans across it. The other issue, computer resources. Some laptops simply cannot handle the better stiching programs all that well. Best to have a computer with at least a higher end i3, but preferably and i5 (better yet - even a quad core i5 or better) and then 8gb ram on top of that. Any less will red line the computer for a while.

Other ideas for indoor lens'... The Pentax 31mm f1.8 is one of Pentax's best wider lens ever made; add to that it's FA badge. The Zeiss 25mm f2.8 another good choice, better price than the above mentioned Zeiss example, slightly less optically, and less of an aperature. Also if one is able to spare the near terrible aperature (especially indoors) then the Pentax DA 18-270 might be worth waiting for.
10-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. I hope my sig is visible so you should be able to see I'm on a cropped K5 and already have the 18-55 kit and a 35 limited so a 31 and a 28 really don't give me much extra other than IQ. Having done a few interior shots with both those lenses it's width and IQ they fail to deliver on respectively. Looking at the photographic examples I've been asked copy and indeed better I don't want to get caught out with not enough scope at the wide end. I'm also keen to avoid distortion so I'm not sure an Ultra wide would do the trick. I'm seriously leaning toward the 12-24 and can pick it up in the Samsung guise for a steal, presuming it is just a badge change. But oh the 15mm limited !!

10-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please keep us posted as you start taking photos..........good luck
10-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find interiors work quite well with the DA 12-24/4, run through DxO Standard which removes the (quite low) distortion.
10-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Looking at those photos I don't think they were taken with a particularly wide angle lens to begin with (possibly something like a 16-xx type mid-range zoom on an aps-c sensor). They are lacking distortions towards the edges that are typical of super-wides like the 12-24 and 10-20mm lenses. That said, either of those lenses would perform well for what you are asking. Either the pentax 12-24mm, or the faster sigma 10-20mm (newer F3.5 version) would perform well.
10-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'd be surprised if some or all of the interior examples weren't shot using a T&S lens. Pentax made one ages ago, but Samyang has one coming.

I agree with one of the others posters - pan and stitch could work well.