Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #1

Adaptor for SLR Spotmatic lenses and K-r body

Hi, in the 70's I bought a A-Pentax SLR Spotmatic and later added some Takumar lenses, although I no longer use the above I have ket them. About 12 months ago I bought a K-r and would now like to use the old lenses. so:
1. What adaptor is required, a M42-to-??
2. Will the old lenses work properly in auto or will it have to be manual settings when using the adaptor/older lenses?
Cheers/Bill

10-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Bill, this article should help you ---> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

I think anyone planning on using M42 lenses on their Pentax DSLR often should purchase the genuine Pentax M42 adapter, not the knock-off ones from Asia as most of them don't fit right and can get stuck.
10-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
Many thanks for the advice Julie, will read up on the article and be guided accordingly. Tend to agree re the cheap knock-offs, often find that you get what you pay for these days.
Cheers
10-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

None of the modern DSLRs have a stop down actuator for the pin on screw-mount lenses, so you'll need to use the lens in "manual" mode rather than "auto".

Turns out this is usually a little easier anyhow because you don't have to take the extra step of stop-down metering (e.g., the "green button" metering) like you would on K- and M- lenses, just pre-set your lens to whatever aperture you want ahead of time, then just focus and shoot -- the camera meters right through the lens. Of course if you are going for f/22, then obviously the view (and focusing) is going to be tough, so you would have to toggle the lens mode. But for stopping down just one or two stops it works great.

On the K-5 you can use any automatic exposure like "P" or "Av", but might on the K-r, you might have to set this to "Av" mode, not sure ... but it will work.

There is an article somewhere regarding newer Takumar screw-mount lenses and a feature that locks the mode switch on the lens, when it is off the body, to prevent accidentally turning it or something. You can't normally change the mode unless the lens is mounted on an M42 body, so you need to push a tiny little pin, then you can change the mode. Anyhow, once you know that you are good to go. From what I understand those are a very narrow range of Takumars, I guess if you have one, you would already know.

Last edited by Tanzer; 10-04-2012 at 06:00 AM.