Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My eyes are bleeding, all the images are so sharp. Amazing!!!

10-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fantastic work...

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Hi all
good light conditions and calm air today; was the opportunity to make the FA*600 show was it is capable to do with a K5.
the kingfisher came only at sunshine;
had a hard time to shot it at 1/60 with the 600
By the way I was in the hide with a Canon guy (7D + 500f4.5) We compare our shots, the Pentax won hands off, not to speak also of the horrible noise the 7D makes at each shot.
I particularly like the bokeh of this combo; enjoy
I know how difficult and time consuming this is. Very nice work, and a superb lens!

Cheers,
Cameron
10-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks,
may be the new DA 560 will be a good performer ? I have a doubt that it can outresolve the FA600 at short distances though (most of the shots here are made at a distance of 7 to 8 meters).
The sigma is certainly a good lens and I would have bought one if I didn't manage to get the FA600 on ebay 2 years ago.
My expectation is that Sigma will release an updated version with image stabilisation; may be it will be available for Pentax mount ?
10-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #19

For long lenses like this application, you could try something like this. I received a prototype of this product as I work with someone who developed it. I don't have any long zooms or primes and initially thought it was a kitchy tripod. After I did some research, I found out they can be used for resting long lenses on things like car window frames when shooting on safari, or in this case, perhaps resting it on a branch for birding. You can add and remove "rice" (really it's plastic pellets but you could use rice) and increase the lateral stability if necessary. I've never used them, but thought I'd share this with anyone else who's interested. I don't have any ties to the product, nor did the person who gave it to me (it was given to them, and since they don't shoot they gave it to me).
http://www.thepod.ca/

10-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GnipGnop Quote
For long lenses like this application, you could try something like this. I received a prototype of this product as I work with someone who developed it. I don't have any long zooms or primes and initially thought it was a kitchy tripod. After I did some research, I found out they can be used for resting long lenses on things like car window frames when shooting on safari, or in this case, perhaps resting it on a branch for birding. You can add and remove "rice" (really it's plastic pellets but you could use rice) and increase the lateral stability if necessary. I've never used them, but thought I'd share this with anyone else who's interested. I don't have any ties to the product, nor did the person who gave it to me (it was given to them, and since they don't shoot they gave it to me).
THE pod Tripod Alternative - beanbag with a bolt travel
I see it; thanks; personnaly I usually remove the handle of the lens and let the lens body rely on the rice bag, in order to achive maximum vibration damping effect.
Even with a very sturdy tripod, the lens vibrates cause the weak point is the bold that either link the lens to the tripod or the gimball head with the tripod.
I'm thinking of designing and manufacture a part that allows the gimball to fit directly in the gitzo systematic tripod.
I'll post pictures later on
Cheers
10-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

goubejp - I've been after my wife to make me a bean/rice bag support for some time. I think all she needs is some dimensions to go by to sew one up for me. I would be using it with my A* 600 5.6 lens which is just a bit smaller than your FA* 600. Could you let me know the dimensions of your bean bag?

Your method is a good one in that you are resting the barrel of the lens on the bag for more support.
10-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
goubejp - I've been after my wife to make me a bean/rice bag support for some time. I think all she needs is some dimensions to go by to sew one up for me. I would be using it with my A* 600 5.6 lens which is just a bit smaller than your FA* 600. Could you let me know the dimensions of your bean bag?

Your method is a good one in that you are resting the barrel of the lens on the bag for more support.
Hi,
I have bought mine here (I don't know if you are able to read french ?)
La boutique
It is a double bean bag dimensions 27cm * 33 cm; I sometimes use it from my car but it is suitable for a window in a blind (hide ?)
Cheers
10-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

We have a couple of commercially-made ones, and one my wife made. The commercial ones are sold as heating pads -- you microwave them to warm them up. (Which is why we have them in the first place; I just steal them occasionally for use as lens supports.) So these aren't water-resistant in any way, and would not be suitable for wet conditions. The one she made was from an old pillowcase. She says: make a tube, 6 to 8 inches wide. Put in some rice (millet, whatever), stitch that shut, then repeat. Don't overfill. One of the commercial ones is about 28" long, 8" wide. It has 4 sections -- a 7x8 at top and bottom, and two parallel 15" sections running up the middle.

10-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Hi,
I have bought mine here (I don't know if you are able to read french ?)
La boutique
It is a double bean bag dimensions 27cm * 33 cm; I sometimes use it from my car but it is suitable for a window in a blind (hide ?)
Cheers
Even if you don't read french have a look on the 2nd picture you see how to use this rice bag with a long lens.
I'm pretty sure also that on this site they understand english, may be they can indicate you where you can find this item. Or they can send it ?
10-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Thanks guys - this will give me a good start in making one up.
10-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #26
Pentaxian

[R-Series] SafariSack? & SkimmerSack? | Kinesis Photo Gear

Thanks guys - this will give me a good start in making one up.
I thought these empty ones were reasonably priced but I'm also all for the DIY.
10-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am lazy. I buy a bag of rice when I get to my destination.
10-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I thought these empty ones were reasonably priced but I'm also all for the DIY.
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I am lazy. I buy a bag of rice when I get to my destination.
This is the best of both worlds, carry an empty kgear covering for durability and buy the bag of rice as you travel from place to place.