Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Roentarre, I am hoping it to replace A* 85/1.4 in terms of image rendering ability (I sold my Fa* 85 f1.4 since it is just bulky and acting similar to my fa 77 ltd).

Don't do it you will regret losing her (A*85/1.4) and she's getting harder to find when you want to replace her.
This thread is an old one and I am embarassed to read my own post.

In fact, changing lenses is a hobby too and I do not have regrets in selling Fa* 85 f1.4

I like light weight equipement these days. For a lens to be heavy, there needs to be a justification or I will hate the lens badly. My weekly photography fun usually relies on two primes with a camera body from one system. I have my views regarding these legendary primes and I am willing to let them go. No regrets

01-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I like light weight equipement these days. For a lens to be heavy, there needs to be a justification or I will hate the lens badly. My weekly photography fun usually relies on two primes with a camera body from one system. I have my views regarding these legendary primes and I am willing to let them go. No regrets

I am swinging that way as well. I had bloated up to 9 lenses and then realized that I just wasn't going to shoot them all. While collecting is cool, I've never really been inclined that way. I'd much rather have a few things that I *really* love and use the snot out of them. If I don't use it, it gets sold off.

So, 21ltd, 31ltd and 55-300 all went back. I'm pondering selling my 50-135* (though it is amazing), 16-45 and possibly the 35ltd and CV58 as well. That would just leave me with K20d and 43/77 combo. Frankly I love both of those lenses, and the only thing that I'd miss would be the occasional wide (maybe 15ltd when it comes out, or sell the 43 and get a 31). But my DLux4 goes to 24mm effective and gives a surprisingly good raw file.

I'd likely put the money towards an a900 with Zeiss 24-70/2.8 setup. That gives me the FF when I need radical crops or the extra resolution. The Pentax then is a "hi-fi" walkabout camera, and the DLux4 is for really traveling light. Of course the lens sales would barely put a dent in the cost of the Sony
01-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #48
Veteran Member

A while back someone posted the different sized focal lengths all summarized on a single sheet. I thought it provided a pretty good summary of the significant differences (therefore possibly answering the original questions)...
01-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
contrary to how most people feel about image programs, ie, consider them a chore, i think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, and i enjoy working with photoshop/lightroom immensely.
It's the greatest chore since sliced bread.

01-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
It's the greatest chore since sliced bread.
I nearly choked on a mouthful of pasta with meatballs
01-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Funny, there must be a bug going around.

I've been thinking that recently now that I've really had a chance to play with my primes on digital. Now that I've got my 50-135 to cover the "long" end of my range, I find myself shuffling between the 24 (least), 35 (frequent), and the 43 (often).

Slowly leaning towards selling the 24/35 and putting it towards a 16-45 (more for the 16 than the 45 end of the range) and a 31mm (just because). I figure I'd have 2 great walkarounds, 2 quality zooms, and some specialty lenses (85 and the macro).

Could probably still be simplied more though...

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I am swinging that way as well. I had bloated up to 9 lenses and then realized that I just wasn't going to shoot them all. While collecting is cool, I've never really been inclined that way. I'd much rather have a few things that I *really* love and use the snot out of them. If I don't use it, it gets sold off.
01-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Funny, there must be a bug going around.

I've been thinking that recently now that I've really had a chance to play with my primes on digital. Now that I've got my 50-135 to cover the "long" end of my range, I find myself shuffling between the 24 (least), 35 (frequent), and the 43 (often).

Slowly leaning towards selling the 24/35 and putting it towards a 16-45 (more for the 16 than the 45 end of the range) and a 31mm (just because). I figure I'd have 2 great walkarounds, 2 quality zooms, and some specialty lenses (85 and the macro).

Could probably still be simplied more though...
If you are ok with the look of zooms, the 16-45 is the "best deal" of the bunch and the 50-135* is stellar. I think that combo with one fast prime covers a lot of ground.

If you aren't crazy about zooms, then I think 15ltd, 31ltd and 50-135* would be a viable minimalist setup. It really just depends on what you see and how you shoot. For instance I got the 21 but I just don't "see" that FOV with a dSLR. I do shoot 24mm effective with my DL4 though so go figure. Different tool though.

I'm sitting here staring at 43 (on the camera), CV58 and 77 and wondering if that is enough. Probably not quite wide enough coverage though...but given a choice between wide and fast I'll usually take fast.
01-23-2009, 04:51 AM   #53
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
If you are ok with the look of zooms, the 16-45 is the "best deal" of the bunch and the 50-135* is stellar. I think that combo with one fast prime covers a lot of ground.

If you aren't crazy about zooms, then I think 15ltd, 31ltd and 50-135* would be a viable minimalist setup. It really just depends on what you see and how you shoot. For instance I got the 21 but I just don't "see" that FOV with a dSLR. I do shoot 24mm effective with my DL4 though so go figure. Different tool though.

I'm sitting here staring at 43 (on the camera), CV58 and 77 and wondering if that is enough. Probably not quite wide enough coverage though...but given a choice between wide and fast I'll usually take fast.
Perhaps you can answer your own question by asking yourself, "Have I seen something that I've wanted to photograph and haven't been able to do it because of my equipment?" The answer should help you decide on your lens choices.

c[_]

01-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Perhaps you can answer your own question by asking yourself, "Have I seen something that I've wanted to photograph and haven't been able to do it because of my equipment?" The answer should help you decide on your lens choices.

c[_]
Rarely equipment, more the nut behind the shutter. That needs constant adjustment...

Generally my feet work as a zoom. But sometimes they don't.