Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #46
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,794
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Roentarre, I am hoping it to replace A* 85/1.4 in terms of image rendering ability (I sold my Fa* 85 f1.4 since it is just bulky and acting similar to my fa 77 ltd).

Don't do it you will regret losing her (A*85/1.4) and she's getting harder to find when you want to replace her.
This thread is an old one and I am embarassed to read my own post.

In fact, changing lenses is a hobby too and I do not have regrets in selling Fa* 85 f1.4

I like light weight equipement these days. For a lens to be heavy, there needs to be a justification or I will hate the lens badly. My weekly photography fun usually relies on two primes with a camera body from one system. I have my views regarding these legendary primes and I am willing to let them go. No regrets



01-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #47
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I like light weight equipement these days. For a lens to be heavy, there needs to be a justification or I will hate the lens badly. My weekly photography fun usually relies on two primes with a camera body from one system. I have my views regarding these legendary primes and I am willing to let them go. No regrets

I am swinging that way as well. I had bloated up to 9 lenses and then realized that I just wasn't going to shoot them all. While collecting is cool, I've never really been inclined that way. I'd much rather have a few things that I *really* love and use the snot out of them. If I don't use it, it gets sold off.

So, 21ltd, 31ltd and 55-300 all went back. I'm pondering selling my 50-135* (though it is amazing), 16-45 and possibly the 35ltd and CV58 as well. That would just leave me with K20d and 43/77 combo. Frankly I love both of those lenses, and the only thing that I'd miss would be the occasional wide (maybe 15ltd when it comes out, or sell the 43 and get a 31). But my DLux4 goes to 24mm effective and gives a surprisingly good raw file.

I'd likely put the money towards an a900 with Zeiss 24-70/2.8 setup. That gives me the FF when I need radical crops or the extra resolution. The Pentax then is a "hi-fi" walkabout camera, and the DLux4 is for really traveling light. Of course the lens sales would barely put a dent in the cost of the Sony
01-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #48
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 506
A while back someone posted the different sized focal lengths all summarized on a single sheet. I thought it provided a pretty good summary of the significant differences (therefore possibly answering the original questions)...
01-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,407
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
contrary to how most people feel about image programs, ie, consider them a chore, i think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, and i enjoy working with photoshop/lightroom immensely.
It's the greatest chore since sliced bread.

01-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #50
Veteran Member
Miserere's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
It's the greatest chore since sliced bread.
I nearly choked on a mouthful of pasta with meatballs
01-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #51
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tri-Cities, British Columbia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,784
Funny, there must be a bug going around.

I've been thinking that recently now that I've really had a chance to play with my primes on digital. Now that I've got my 50-135 to cover the "long" end of my range, I find myself shuffling between the 24 (least), 35 (frequent), and the 43 (often).

Slowly leaning towards selling the 24/35 and putting it towards a 16-45 (more for the 16 than the 45 end of the range) and a 31mm (just because). I figure I'd have 2 great walkarounds, 2 quality zooms, and some specialty lenses (85 and the macro).

Could probably still be simplied more though...

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I am swinging that way as well. I had bloated up to 9 lenses and then realized that I just wasn't going to shoot them all. While collecting is cool, I've never really been inclined that way. I'd much rather have a few things that I *really* love and use the snot out of them. If I don't use it, it gets sold off.
01-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #52
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Funny, there must be a bug going around.

I've been thinking that recently now that I've really had a chance to play with my primes on digital. Now that I've got my 50-135 to cover the "long" end of my range, I find myself shuffling between the 24 (least), 35 (frequent), and the 43 (often).

Slowly leaning towards selling the 24/35 and putting it towards a 16-45 (more for the 16 than the 45 end of the range) and a 31mm (just because). I figure I'd have 2 great walkarounds, 2 quality zooms, and some specialty lenses (85 and the macro).

Could probably still be simplied more though...
If you are ok with the look of zooms, the 16-45 is the "best deal" of the bunch and the 50-135* is stellar. I think that combo with one fast prime covers a lot of ground.

If you aren't crazy about zooms, then I think 15ltd, 31ltd and 50-135* would be a viable minimalist setup. It really just depends on what you see and how you shoot. For instance I got the 21 but I just don't "see" that FOV with a dSLR. I do shoot 24mm effective with my DL4 though so go figure. Different tool though.

I'm sitting here staring at 43 (on the camera), CV58 and 77 and wondering if that is enough. Probably not quite wide enough coverage though...but given a choice between wide and fast I'll usually take fast.
01-23-2009, 04:51 AM   #53
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,972
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
If you are ok with the look of zooms, the 16-45 is the "best deal" of the bunch and the 50-135* is stellar. I think that combo with one fast prime covers a lot of ground.

If you aren't crazy about zooms, then I think 15ltd, 31ltd and 50-135* would be a viable minimalist setup. It really just depends on what you see and how you shoot. For instance I got the 21 but I just don't "see" that FOV with a dSLR. I do shoot 24mm effective with my DL4 though so go figure. Different tool though.

I'm sitting here staring at 43 (on the camera), CV58 and 77 and wondering if that is enough. Probably not quite wide enough coverage though...but given a choice between wide and fast I'll usually take fast.
Perhaps you can answer your own question by asking yourself, "Have I seen something that I've wanted to photograph and haven't been able to do it because of my equipment?" The answer should help you decide on your lens choices.

c[_]

01-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #54
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Perhaps you can answer your own question by asking yourself, "Have I seen something that I've wanted to photograph and haven't been able to do it because of my equipment?" The answer should help you decide on your lens choices.

c[_]
Rarely equipment, more the nut behind the shutter. That needs constant adjustment...

Generally my feet work as a zoom. But sometimes they don't.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
31mm, 50mm, k-mount, overkill, pentax lens, primes, slr lens, telephoto
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fast, Normal Primes on a Semi-Budget Biro Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 10-31-2009 08:26 AM
What's the big deal? ;) losecontrol Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 02-18-2009 07:56 PM
What's the big deal with 1:1 macro ? pcarfan Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 39 01-31-2009 12:40 PM
Normal (digital) primes qksilver Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 05-17-2008 08:11 AM
What's the big deal about live-view? Ash Pentax DSLR Discussion 60 02-21-2008 03:57 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:09 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top