Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JesterPrime Quote
...Those of you suggesting that on APS-C, it's not wide until you go below 20mm, you might be right. I suppose I was just trying to sacrifice some room in the image for a cheaper price and more compact size. I would love to hear about actually wide lenses that aren't too expensive, and have been looking into what has been suggested (the Zenitar doesn't have communication with the body eh? Awww maannnnn).

Is there any particular place I should look for these to buy them? I was using ebay, but I can't find the Sigma 24 mini wide there, for instance. Is there a better place to look, or do I just wait for whichever lens I want to pop up (if I'm not willing to buy something else)?

Thanks again.
I had a Sigma 16mm fisheye with a KA mount, bought to replace the Zenitar. It had another advantage besides the mount; it focused closer. Some are around but it's not common.

The 24mm is actually called the Super-Wide. There's an older Sigma 24mm with Z in the name. Then there are several Super-Wide models: basic K mount, a couple of KA versions (I think these are the Super-Wide IIs) and an AF version. Mine is the paint-falling off model but really excellent at images. Thses are more vulnerable to flare than Pentax but I don't see any other flaws or CA like Lowell has with the 28mm.They should be around if you wait.

10-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I just recently purchased a Tokina 2.8/24 (with "A" setting, 52mm filter) from eBay, which turned out to look and feel nearly unused. I payed 41 (GBP 41) plus shipping.

I had looked for a 24mm for the last 2 years, and it was the first time I saw this lens model offered. It is not labelled as "RMC", but nevertheless seems to have a good multicoating. I do not know how old it is. The location for the serial tells "P/K 8300227". As I think 1983 was the year Tokina started switching from K to KA mounts, "83" could be the code for production year.

I haven't made any real tests yet, just some shots where I compared with my 18-55 WR kit at 24mm. Sharpness and contrast of the Tokina are way better, and very good border/corner sharpness, too (I think at F4, but no EXIF !@@&%!).

If I have more time, I'll do some additional tests and may write some lines for our lens section.
10-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JesterPrime Quote
I don't think I can live without the A mode, stop-down metering isn't too terrible, but it does take some time to set-up (not to mention eliminating the ability to use Aperture-priority, when needed), and I'd like to be able to be a bit quicker.
Is there any particular place I should look for these to buy them? I was using ebay, but I can't find the Sigma 24 mini wide there, for instance. Is there a better place to look, or do I just wait for whichever lens I want to pop up (if I'm not willing to buy something else)?
I think your top choices are:

Cosina 20/3.8 (a.k.a. Vivitar 19/3.8) with KA mount - small, right in the middle of the wide angle range

Any of the 24s will be "wide-normal" like a 36mm lens on FF/film.

Kiron/Vivitar 24 for fast aperture
Sigma 24/2.8 for AF

So there you go, each with its own strength, take your pick.

As for tracking them down, eBay, KEH & the marketplace here are all good resources. You can always post a want ad in the marketplace if you don't see what you're looking for. I've gotten a couple lenses that way, ones I thought would be pretty rare but both times someone stepped up, actually.

B&H and Adorama have used departments but not as much old Pentax selection as KEH. Doesn't hurt to check there either.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
i am somewhat on the fence with Sigma Mini wide II lenses. I have the 28mm lens in KA mount, and although I did not spend much ($30) it is without a doubt the worst 28 mm lens I own. It suffers very very badly in terms of lateral CA, not just in the out of focus detail but also with respect to in the focal plane as well. In color this leads to purple/green fringing on the side of detail, and in B&W, it leads to serious loss of sharpness off center.
Generally, the 24/2.8 super wide II has a better reputation than the 28/2.8 mini wide II. I think?