Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Buy the Super-Takumar 85mm f1.9 because it's the best price and fast. I think it might be too close to a DA70 in focal length terms but definitely not rendering. I use mine when i don't want a 90mm macro sharpness, and I like its softer look without being peculiar.

You may be selling the 85 to get the M100/2.8. I think $150 is too much. The lens does have a lot going for it, one I regret selling. It's also small, not DA70 pancake but 49mm filters vs. 58mm on the ST85.

I don't know a lot about the Jupiter. Figuring out whether the lens was built yesterday or 1962, coated or not, working or a project, I just skipped it.
im guessing 80-85 should be the right fl but i can do 100 for head shots. definitely too short for 70 for me.

10-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
OK, so what is the rush. you do not explain why you need to purchase this in 16 hours, or are you bidding on EBAY,

Seriously, if I were going to do portrait work, as more than an occasional candid shot, I would want something that I know I can do work with flash easily. assuming you are not going to spend an arm and a leg on it. and looking at the prices, I would go straight to any of the rebranded samyang 85/1.4 lenses. (vivitar, bower, pro-optic, rokonon, etc....) they all come with automatic aperture, which means that you can use all exposure modes and P-TTL flash.

I have both the vivitar 85/1.4 and the super takumar 85/1.9. while I like both lenses, i thing the tak is a little too difficult to use in a studio situation.

one other point, you don't say exactly how much longer you need over 70mm.
Got to hurry or the s tak or any of the 3 are gone. been considering the samyang and clones but way out of my budget now... new is around 360 here... too much
10-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
another thought, but depends on availability, is the tamron 90mm F2.5 macro. (model 52B or 52BB) I got one a few weeks ago with an M42 mount for $100 it has an excellent reputation and from the shots I have taken with it, it is a fine lens.

In the end it will depend on what type of shots you want,. If you are looking for tak sharp and plan to use the lens stopped down, almost anything will do, but if you want very shallow DOF, then the tak, or a samyang would be a good bet. the jupiter 9 has a reputation for interesting bokeh, but also for being a PITA to use and get consistent results.
@Lowell
i often only use wide open for shallow dof...
sorry but what do you mean by PITA? new for me...
90 2.5 is rare, never seen 1 before
10-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
It's not on your list, but the Pentax-A 35-105 / f3.5 is an absolutely superb portrait lens. It's extremely sharp at all focal lengths with lovely bokeh & great color. You're unlikely to use anything faster than f3.5 for a portrait, anyway.

KEH has one for around $135, by the way.
never seen this 1 too... how about M75-150 f4 compared to this lens?

10-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #20

Original Poster
last count 1:1:5, 12hrs to go
10-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
@Lowell
i often only use wide open for shallow dof...
sorry but what do you mean by PITA? new for me...
90 2.5 is rare, never seen 1 before
Sorry PITA is Pain In The A$$.

Not sure how common the 90mm Tamron is, but it is a well respected macro lens, very sharp. I just happened upon this lens a few weeks ago, in the used department at Henry's outlet store outside Toronto. It might be worth searching for

The F2.5 is fairly fast, but if you really want wide open for shallowest DOF then go for the TAK. Just be aware that while it is OK for indoor work, it is subject to flare etc, due to the older coatings. Or if you want to spend $130 more, get the samyang 85/1.4 brand new from B&H or Adorama

Ps. A quick search on eBay shows there are 5 for sale presently(but you would need to have a mount) some with BIN prices in the $150 range so within your budget
10-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Surprised not to see mentions of the M85/2, which is just common enough to sometimes go for cheap enough to compete with the others.

I love my M100/2.8, but the only question would be if it was too long for your purposes. Can you experiment with a zoom or two (I have little faith in reported focal lengths so it's good to get multiple opinions) to really get a sense of this. On the other hand, if you sold you 70 for being too short, 85 might not seem like enough of a difference. Hard for anyone but you to say.

10-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
never seen this 1 too... how about M75-150 f4 compared to this lens?
I don't have any experience with that one. Some people give the 75-150 good reviews & some say it's low contrast, or not that sharp. I dunno...

Here are some reviews on the 35-105. The 35-105 is also an "A" lens, which is a plus. It's my go-to portrait lens, along with the Pentax DA-L 55-300.
10-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I have the M75-150, and it's sharp all right. However, like a lot of M-era Pentax lenses, I find it somewhat lacking in contrast and colour, compared to the excellent modern Pentax lenses. I think the main problem is lack of red response, meaning that transmission of the red end of the spectrum is a bit down. This means that, if there are any red hues in the image, it'll end up looking rather cool (and slightly lacking in contast). You'll get cool-looking flesh tones, and any reds in the clothing will be subdued. (For other subjects which don't have much at the red end of the spectrum, you'll get results very similar to a modern lens.)

I think some of the best colours I've seen from a vintage lens has been the CZJ MC Sonnar 135/4, but that's far too long for portraits, in my opinion.
10-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by m42man Quote
I think some of the best colours I've seen from a vintage lens has been the CZJ MC Sonnar 135/4, but that's far too long for portraits, in my opinion.
There is also the Contax Carl Zeiss 85/f2.8 that can easily be converted to the Pentax mount (Leitax.com), that would be good for portraits and has excellent colors and rendering.

10-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Surprised not to see mentions of the M85/2, which is just common enough to sometimes go for cheap enough to compete with the others.

I love my M100/2.8, but the only question would be if it was too long for your purposes. Can you experiment with a zoom or two (I have little faith in reported focal lengths so it's good to get multiple opinions) to really get a sense of this. On the other hand, if you sold you 70 for being too short, 85 might not seem like enough of a difference. Hard for anyone but you to say.
Yes, the M85/2 would be my choice as well, if the A or FA 85/1.4 are out of reach. The M is compact and the IQ is good enough. And f/2 for portraits offers some possibilities for finely tuned DOF.

Ben
10-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I have all three.
The M 100/2.8 is the sharpest of all. A bit longer than 85, and need 2 more steps backward to frame the same as 85mm.
Super Tak 85/1.9 and jupiter share the same focal length, but they are a bit different. I cant point which one is better. My J9 copy is sharp. Wide open, both are about the same, pretty same sharpness for both. Reputation wise, J9 has a lot copy variation.

Shot with 85 or 100mm, you may not need wide open. F4 is just fine.
If i can select, i would go for the M 100/2.8, which is a safe bet, since you need one lens right now.
As for 85mm, sooner or later you will need one. But rush wont help here.
If you absolute want an 85, go for the tak, but it is not smc.
You may need to verify if the Jupiter is a good copy or not.

samples super tak

samples jupiter-9

Last edited by hoanpham; 10-06-2012 at 01:26 PM.
10-09-2012, 02:26 AM   #28

Original Poster
Thanks guys!!!

@hoanpham: you have a great set of j9 pics... sharp and wonderful rendering...

Here's a few quick pics from mine (yup... decided to get the j9 as well and its in pristine condition, sharp at 2.8).
I need to test more for portraits at f2 (noticed the J9 trademark "glow" at f2)...

But, i'm happy with the J9 and gives me somewhat a similar character like my 44-2... gotta love the bokeh of these russian lenses...

Now i own 3 russian legends (Helios 44-2, Jupiter 9 and Jupiter 37A)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #29

Original Poster
By the way all pics taken at f2 except for the last 1 at 2.8...
The first 3 i forgot to dial-in the correct focal so here it was 55 instead of 85 (was using my helios)