Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your advice. I had a fun time at the museum! Took the DA 15mm and it hardly ever came off the camera; I swapped it for the FA 35 a few times but then the DA 15 came right back out again. Here are a few quick snaps I took.

10-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #32
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Thanks everyone for your advice. I had a fun time at the museum! Took the DA 15mm and it hardly ever came off the camera; I swapped it for the FA 35 a few times but then the DA 15 came right back out again. Here are a few quick snaps I took.
Good job! Light appears to be pretty challenging in this museum - not that much and a combination of artificial and natural sources. What ISO did you use and what shutter speeds were you getting?

One thing that helps sometimes (but probably not here where you needed every stop of light) is a C-PL - it can be used to cut some of the reflections on the shiny paint.
10-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every time I see an SR-71 in a museum I have to smile. I remember being restricted to indoors, with the blinds closed, whenever one didn't land on base.
10-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
What ISO did you use and what shutter speeds were you getting?
Mostly 1600, which is pretty much the max of what I'm comfortable to use on my K-X. Some 800, and even 400 when I had my FA35 on. 1/40 sec was the norm

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
One thing that helps sometimes (but probably not here where you needed every stop of light) is a C-PL - it can be used to cut some of the reflections on the shiny paint.
Thanks for the tip! I don't have a C-PL but maybe I should buy one to play around with.

10-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice pix!

Shooting at U-H is actually a little easier on a cloudy day, when you don't have as much glare from the windows. There's still always a spot light just where you don't need it.

It seems like every time I'm there, the last pictures I take will be of the SR-71, and then it points towards the door...
10-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think the SR-71 and the space shuttle were my two favorite things there. My wife was bored out of her mind but my 2 year old daughter was running around, screaming "airplane!" "airplane!" and pointing upwards. Yes, the lighting was definitely tricky in there, but I shot the DA 15 wide-open and was pretty happy with the results.