Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sigma 70-300 DL Macro?

Hey all,

I found someone that may be willing to sell me a sigma 70-300mm DL 4-5.6 Macro lens for 35 bucks. From what I can tell this is an older model and its in VGC overall, its just missing the rear cap but comes with the front cap and hood. Does anyone have any experience with this lens and if so does this sound like a good deal? If someone could elaborate the quality of the lens I would appreciate it. Also, how is the macro capability? Thanks

10-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Wrong section, should be in lense third party
10-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
Whoops, sorry
10-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is the link to the Sigma legacy review section: Sigma Lenses for Pentax: Legacy Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database There are two entries that appear to match, not sure if they are the same one just listed twice or if it is two different lenses but that's the information the site has.

Be aware that despite the 'macro' in the name this is not a macro lens. Many consumer zooms include a close focusing mode and call this 'macro' because the maker believes, usually correctly, that people will think it is a macro lens and they will sell more of them. This lens has a 'close focusing' mode. Normally the minimal focusing distance is about 60 inches. Iin close focusing mode the minimal focusing distance changes to 37 inches. If that is useful to you then all is good. But do not confuse this with a true macro lens, not even in the same class.

Rio Rico's rule: If it costs the same or less than a dinner out just buy it. Assuming it works, I believe this falls into that category.

10-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My roommate had this lens (Or maybe a newer version?). I prefer the Tamron to it, but that having been said, for $35 you cannot go wrong with it.
10-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by harleynitelite Quote
Whoops, sorry
Next time, please use the mod contact form or thread reporting feature to request that the thread be moved. Posting the same topic in two different places is even worse

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Buy it for $35. While not a true macro, it does close up work very well and is probably better at close up than as a telephoto. It's very good from 70-200 and gets a little soft on the long end unless it's stopped down to f/8-f/11. The macro range is on the long end of the zoom and is quite sharp and better IQ up close than at infinity.
10-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Next time, please use the mod contact form or thread reporting feature to request that the thread be moved. Posting the same topic in two different places is even worse
Thanks for the info Adam, I didn't know how to do that.