Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Have you ever broken a lens mount?
Plastic multiple times   00%
Plastic once 33.57%
Metal multiple times 11.19%
Metal once 22.38%
Never broke a mount 7892.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I had to vote 'Metal, multiple times'. I parked my old Range Rover on my bag of EOS gear.

10-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I parked my old Range Rover on my bag of EOS gear.
That's taking Pentax fanboyism to extremes!
10-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I have never broken a mount but I am sometimes amused when people write that the old metal manual Pentax lenses could be used as a hammer. I have owned several of these old Pentax lenses with sticky focus that is the result of distorted lens barrels. They have still been usable although I actually had one once that would occasionally unlock from the lens mount because it took so much force to turn it through the barrel distortion. Maybe people really are using them as hammers. Or using them as chock blocks to keep their Range Rovers from rolling away.

BTW, all of these were bought through E-Bay. Fortunately none of them were terribly expensive and I have done my Pentaxian duty and duly retired them to take them out of circulation.
10-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #19

Haven't really broke a mount but I generally avoid plastic mounts because I can be a little rough handling with the lens and I always believed in if you get what you paid for and it applies true to lenses I bought, at which I don't mind paying a little premium just to be safe on the psychological side.

10-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have done a little examination of my 30 year-old Pentax-M and Tamron mounts and I can see enough wear on the chrome-plated brass and/or stainless steel (translation...pretty hard stuff) to make it clear in my mind that a plastic mount subjected to the same usage would have been worn to nothin' in no time at all, particularly if mated to a metal body mount. Plastic is OK, I guess, as long as you don't change lenses a lot and with a modern super-zoom, many owners will never change lenses at all!
10-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
Plastic can be pretty strong. The Boeing 787 is made of plastic (OK, with a bit of carbon fibre thrown in for good measure). I guess it all depends on the type and quality of the plastic so probably different from one lens/manufacturer to another...
10-12-2012, 04:19 AM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I prefer metal in bodies, mounts and lenses if possible. A hotel porter dropped my Nikon D40 with kit lens once. The lens cracked at the mount.

( Nikon repaired it for free )

Paul

10-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Well if I could vote again, I'd go for metal, once

Paul
10-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Have used only metal, but don't have anything against plastic. Have never broken a mount, but I believe I am generally very careful. As a chemical engineer, I believe that high quality plastics can certainly be used in the appropriate application (lenses, yes, but not just lenses). In some applications, a plastic part may be the preferred material.