Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Have you ever broken a lens mount?
Plastic multiple times   00%
Plastic once 33.57%
Metal multiple times 11.19%
Metal once 22.38%
Never broke a mount 7892.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you ever broken a lens mount?

Curious, as it seems to be a huge measurement of lens quality to people. I'm wondering just how great the failure rate of the plastic mounts actually is. I know this is highly unscientific of a poll, but it should give a rough idea at least.

Last edited by Sagitta; 10-08-2012 at 11:23 AM.
10-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Had my DA-L 55-300 for 2 years and the DA 35 2.4 for a year, no issues with the mount. Just don't use them as a hammer. My M 50 1.7 is older than I am and still going. This you could use as a hammer.
10-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I can see here there are no reports on this board of plastic mounts failing on Pentax lenses. Many seem to think they are rubbish but no one can point to a failure of one under normal conditions of daily use. Oh, there are reports of mounts, both metal and plastic, breaking when a camera+lens are dropped from a height but that can only be expected.
10-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I have a DA 35/2.4 that sees a lot of time on the K-5 and gets switched for another lens quite often ... On & Off, On & Off, repeat many times even in one day ...

And despite all that wear and tear, the plastic mount looks as good as new ... J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 10-08-2012 at 10:07 PM.
10-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Most of my lenses have plastic mounts and seem to be fine. Plastic isn't what it used to be, and it actually depends on which type and what thickness they use. I have two plastic lenses, and the Pentax feels much sturdier than the off-brand cheapo. But I didn't even have a problem with that one so..
10-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Pretty hard to break a metal mount unless you drop the lens.

Phil.
10-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Phil.
So true Phil.

However there is a forum member out there, can't recall his name, who has a very appropriate quote. It goes something like this:

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently dedicated fool"

Tom G
10-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Phil.
True, but I have seen them shear off from the lens body, break a flange, etc. Anything is possible. My point was that spontaneous annoucements of broken plastic lens mounts here on PF just don't happen to the best of my knowledge. The fear is a hysterical one IMHO.

10-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I chipped the mount of my old DAL35mm, it has a metal (Copper?) frame inside the plastic so its quite sturdy. I replaced it with a metal AF mount as per suggestions on the forums here.
10-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Phil.
Or someone sits on your camera.
10-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #11

Never broke any mount so far... (finger crossed)
10-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian

So far none and hoping never. Those old M lenses and Taks are tough enough to be potential throwable weapons.

also, unless one is really reckless enough even plastic mounts are strong enough to resist breaking apart.
10-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #13

Once I was taking photos wt friend using tripod and he did check if my K5+18-55 wr was properly installed to ballhead plate by gripping my lens by hand and try to shake camera from lens...no damage done even he is very big man
10-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I think plastic has the reputation of being "cheap". It can be cheap plastic but there are also plastics that are incredibly strong and durable as well as being lighter in weight than most metals. I think some of the problem is that cheaper, entry level cameras are all plastic where high end cameras are a metal frame with plastic coating. Is one better than the other in reality? I'm not talking about features for it's obvious that the high end pro Canon's are a better camera than the Rebel. My daughter has a Rebel and it has held up to hard use for several years, pretty good for a cheap plastic camera. So why would plastic lens mounts not hold up if it is a good plastic? At work, I have a large plastic bodied one inch impact wrench that has held up fairly well. It weighs about half of what an all metal wrench of the same torque specs weigh. There is still an overall opinion that plastic products are inferior. Cheap, mediocre lenses are plastic because any metal is much more labor intensive to machine but there are some darn good plastic lenses out there. A lens is really all about the optics. A plastic lens can break if dropped but a metal lens can bend or dent, making it totally unusable also. As for mounts, a lot of those shiny metal mounts are screwed into plastic lens bodies or camera bodies. Better and stronger or is it just creating an illusion?
10-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
As for mounts, a lot of those shiny metal mounts are screwed into plastic lens bodies or camera bodies. Better and stronger or is it just creating an illusion?
Good point. Anything is only as strong as it's weakest part. I have seen a couple of thrift store lenses with plastic mounts that were broken, but they were probably tossed around, dropped on the concrete floor, etc. Thrift stores are full of broken crap, not just lenses.

I used to be kind of paranoid about owning lenses with plastic mounts, but when a great deal popped up on a DA-L 55-300 here on the forum, I bought it. And I'm glad I did! It's a terrific lens I would've missed out on if I had passed on it because of the plastic mount.

People have the idea plastic mounts are cheap and that usually keeps the price down. That's always a good thing if you're a buyer. So I'm not so worried about plastic mounts these days. :-)