Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
DA35/2.4 with a stuck focus ring...any ideas?

Hi all,

I took my K-5 out of the bag today with the DA35/2.4 attached and lined up a shot...focus wouldn't move. Problem! On taking the lens off, I discovered that the focus ring could be turned, but not easily. It doesn't feel gritty or uneven, just 'tight', lots of resistance that remains constant throughout the focus throw. It's enough resistance to prevent the focus motor from turning the AF screw at all. I'm not sure of the cause of it - possibly took a hit during transit somewhere but I can't be sure.

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before, what might be the cause of it, and if it could conceivably be fixed? I'd like to avoid sending it away for repair if I can (my local official Pentax repair centre recently closed and it'd have to go off to Shanghai...no warranty repair as I bought it in Australia). I've looked for disassembly instructions without success but I'm not particularly scared about going in with a screwdriver and great care (I have a long history as a tinkerer).

I'm a bit disappointed as it's my second DA35/2.4 to have focus problems (something major broke inside the first one but it was replaced under warranty). I don't hear much about anyone else having problems with this lens, so I figure that it can't be that unreliable despite many people's misgivings about the plastic construction (which is pretty common to most modern lenses anyway).

Many thanks in advance. If I can't get it working, I guess it's a sign that I need to get a FA31 Ltd.

10-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #2

Hi,

I had the same issue with mine. I just went to the shop and asked for another one, just a few days after I bought it. The second copy, so far, is working perfectly fine.

Cheers,
O.
10-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks casagan, it's nice to know I'm not the only one! Replacing it under warranty is something that I'd love to do, but my present circumstances make it difficult - if I'm not mistaken, I'd need to return it to the Australian distributor and that's not something that I'm willing to do at the moment, having gone through the process once already not too long ago.
10-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #4

Apart from this, the lens is really good. I would try to get a replacemnt, and if not, get another one! :-)

10-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
Fixed it! I disassembled it yesterday, and though I couldn't tell exactly what had caused it, I think that maybe one set of tongue & grooves in the focus mechanism had become misaligned due to a jolt or bang. Nothing broken internally though, and it worked just fine upon reassembly.

Disassembly walkthrough to come

02-05-2013, 04:59 AM   #6

Hi Nick did you ever write up the stripdown?