Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #1

Pentax SMC 35-70mm f/2.8 AF

I picked this lens inside a box of various vintage Kodaks and 110 cameras. All of it was $2. I was trying to see everything's value and then came across the lens.
After a few Google searches, it seems like it goes from anywhere between $100-200. I have no way of knowing whether mine works, as I don't own any Pentax cameras, nor do I know how to find anyone with a K-mount camera.
I just would like some info about how to sell mine (if I even can...), its value, etc.
Thanks a ton

10-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This lens was part of Pentax's first attempt at autofocus. It was introduced along with the Pentax ME-F SLR camera. It will only autofocus on the ME-F. On any other Pentax SLR it behaves like an A-series lens, with full automatic exposure.

Pentax ME-F - Camerapedia
10-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by msatlas Quote
This lens was part of Pentax's first attempt at autofocus. It was introduced along with the Pentax ME-F SLR camera. It will only autofocus on the ME-F. On any other Pentax SLR it behaves like an A-series lens, with full automatic exposure.

Pentax ME-F - Camerapedia
Thanks for the quick reply.
I understand how it works and everything, but is there a market for them? How does condition affect their value since it is so collectible?
10-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mayer95 Quote
How does condition affect their value since it is so collectible?
There is a market but I would say it is 99% collectors. Not many people would buy that lens to use. So condition is very important. To a user a few dings are no big deal, to a collector condition is really important.

Here is the link to that lens in the database: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-AF-35-70mm-F2.8-Zoom-Lens.html

10-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by msatlas Quote
On any other Pentax SLR it behaves like an A-series lens, with full automatic exposure.
Actually, it pre-dates the A series. It is actually an M series lens and lacks automated aperture.

SMC Pentax-AF 35-70mm F2.8 Reviews - M Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database