Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #1

Pentax MX Help~

I've recently just purchased a Pentax MX and having some difficulty finding the correct fisheye lens to suit it, and where to purchase such lens from.

I don't know what lenses suit the MX, so any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

10-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A lot of different fisheye lenses can be mounted on the MX, everything except for the DA and FAJ lenses.
Would you prefer a fish eye zoom? F 17-28/3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye
Or a smaller lens to match the MX small size? K 17/4 Fish-Eye
10-14-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Yes, any Pentax fisheye lens except for the DA 10-17 will work. And there are also lots of third party lenses...
However, none of them are available new. You'll have to dig through the classifieds, ebay, or the marketplace on this site!
10-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'd go with the Pentax K 17/4. Not much point in buying additional features which won't work on the MX unless you have a digital camera as well. Might I suggest you rent or borrow a fish eye lens and try it out first. This is a very wide angle lens on a film camera and once the novelty wears off it will probably sit unused for long periods of time.

Tom G

10-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If the Pentax offerings are too expensive there is the Russian made Zenitar 16mm f2.8, they are available brand new for under $200 and are very good.
10-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
If the Pentax offerings are too expensive there is the Russian made Zenitar 16mm f2.8, they are available brand new for under $200 and are very good.
I own a Zenitar fisheye and it is a ton of fun on a 35mm film camera. If you consider that option, I would spend some time with the reviews for that lens on this site. If you do purchase (even new), I would be prepared to adjust the infinity focus (not difficult), since that seems to be a common issue.

Steve
10-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

One possibility that might suit you if a true fish-eye effect is not your goal lies in the Tamron AF SP 10-24 or 17-35 lenses. They're full frame lenses of good quality and reasonably easy to manually focus. I just tried both on my MX to verify suitability again.

Both feel a little large on my Pentax MX body but are quite comfortable on K1000 or P3 bodies. An added advantage is that they would serve well on any modern film or digital auto focus bodies you may have.

Other brands such as Sigma and Tokina have similar options.

As stated above, any lens listed for the Pentax PK or PK/A bayonet mount will work with your MX.

H2
10-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If you do purchase (even new), I would be prepared to adjust the infinity focus (not difficult), since that seems to be a common issue.
It is really easy if you have a body with a split prism focusing screen. I just noticed mine was slightly out the other day, not by as much as I've heard other people claiming, but enough to make me do something about it. I used my ME Super body to set it, I also double checked with my Super Program.

If you decide to get one and need to do this adjustment, be VERY careful with the screws they are extremely soft, especially the ones holding the lens hood on.

Last edited by elliott; 10-14-2012 at 12:13 PM.
10-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
If you decide to get one and need to do this adjustment, be VERY careful with the screws they are extremely soft, especially the ones holding the lens hood on.
Though you should not have to touch the lens hood screws if you are just adjusting the focus stop. The screws to adjust infinity focus are under the rubber focus grip. As Elliot noted, a split image focus screen is pretty much essential to properly do the adjustment.

Steve
10-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Though you should not have to touch the lens hood screws if you are just adjusting the focus stop. The screws to adjust infinity focus are under the rubber focus grip. As Elliot noted, a split image focus screen is pretty much essential to properly do the adjustment.
My hood was already touching before I adjusted it, so I had to move it to gain the extra travel for infinity.