Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #16

You are the only one who can adjust the focusing screen.Find a good high contrast text,in good light focus until you see the focus conformation then adjust your screen with the lever at the top of the viewfinder until it is the most clear to you

10-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, thanks! I'm going with the learn as I go method, I appreciate being able to learn from other people!
10-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in reading all the posts here there is, I think, a bit of confusion

there are 2 mechanical focusing adjustments, one is achieved by adding (or subtracting if there is something installed) a shim between the focusing screen and prism, which changes the point of focus of the lens on the focusing screen, this could be off. You can either purchase from pentax shims, and adjust it yourself, or send pentax the 50F1.2 and have them adjust the camera, amd ensure it is accurate for that lens.

There is also a focus adjustment on the eye peice, that you use to correct your eyesight, so you can focus adequately on the focusing screen. you adjust this, so that the black lines on the focusing screen are sharp, and check that when focused your entire image is sharp.

You can also, as some suggest, get a split image focusing screen, these are made by third party companies (pentax does not offer one) and are great for manual focus lenses. the Katz eye has the best reputation and tech support, but there are others out there

The existing stock focusing screen does not have the right optical properties to always show correctly focus and depth of field. THe suggestion of live view is also a very good one.

As was mentioned by several posters, the red dot is only showing you the focus detector that is being used, not that you are in focus, that is the green hexagon.

You can also do trap focus, where you set the AF mode to AF-S, and turn the focusing collar slowly, with the shutter depressed, and the shutter will fire when the focus confirmation is achieved. this requires some practice but is also a way to work.
10-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could also try catch in focus with your manual lens. Just hold the shutter button down and slowly turn the focus ring, the camera will fire when the subject is in focus. I use it all the time with my A50 1.7, which is a excellent lens. BTW, I really like that last shot, well done.

Aw hell Lowell, I didn't read all your post before I posted. Sorry.

10-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
I tried the camera in AF-s, I just waited until it beeped and noticed the hexagon pop up so I tried it that way and its much better!

Thanks! I almost didn't send her that shot, I felt like it could have been sharper.
10-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by April.H Quote
I tried the camera in AF-s, I just waited until it beeped and noticed the hexagon pop up so I tried it that way and its much better!

Thanks! I almost didn't send her that shot, I felt like it could have been sharper.
April, I'm not familiar with the K-r options but on the K-30 and K-5 you can set the shutter not to fire in AF-S mode unless the camera has focus confirmation. On the K-30, it's custom option #15.
10-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'll see if I can find it. Thank you!

I think I may still invest in an auto 50-55 mm I need to be able to catch kids fast. This lens will be even more perfect for seniors, newborns and in general people who can sit still longer than 30 seconds!

10-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd also suggest you take a look at the Pentax O-ME53 eyepiece magnifier. They aren't expensive and they're worth every penny, especially when using manual focus. I love mine but this may not help you if the focus screen in your camera is not aligned properly.

The FA 77 is a great lens for portraits.