Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #1

Summatech Lens

Hey all I've got a Summatech 200mm f/4 prime lens which I used years ago on my ME Super. Does anyone know about these lenses? It's quite heavy.

10-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Was it made in Japan or Korea? If it's Japanese it's probably made by Cosina.

Cosina MC Cosinon T 200mm F/4 Lens Reviews - Cosina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
10-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Was it made in Japan or Korea? If it's Japanese it's probably made by Cosina.

Cosina MC Cosinon T 200mm F/4 Lens Reviews - Cosina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
...or any other of the multiple companies that have made generic lenses over the years. Komine, Kino, Tamron, Chinon, Cosina, and Sigma all made generic lenses and also provided optics, barrels, and other parts to other makers and even to the major lens makers. That is part of why it is so difficult to determine just who made what for many brands, even those that are known to have made their own optics (e.g. Mamiya).

Probably the safest route to take with a no-name lens is to assign monetary value based on what it is. On the other hand, inexpensive no-name glass can often provide a very satisfying photographic experience and is often well-worth owning. For reference, I would direct the curious to this thread that I started several years ago:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/31353-off-brand-club.html
As for the OP's lens...If he/she liked it back-in-the-day, it is probably worth shooting with now, regardless of its pedigree.

Steve