Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Try taking as many pictures as you can and it'll surely heal itself over time. trust me!

10-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #17
iht
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
But if you are thinking of the lens as a collector's item, then a functional repair won't help.
Yeah, I'm looking to fix it properly.

I know if the lens can't be fixed properly, then that's life, but personally I think this FA* is worth the effort if it's still possible to find parts for it.

QuoteQuote:
Try taking as many pictures as you can and it'll surely heal itself over time. trust me!
In the mean time, I can't take pictures with it because it's still in Japan, though I'm looking forward to it

QuoteQuote:
There is a guy in Finland who makes elements according to specs.
Ah...that's a bit drastic...so probably will give this a miss, but thanks for the suggestion though
10-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Buying one element is drastic, but buying a €2000 lens just to take the one piece out isn't?
10-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Just out of curiosity, what is the spare part price for a star (or limited) lens front element?
There are only a few lenses which I would fix. I do not own any of them. Yet.

Seb.

10-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
I purchased a FA 80-200/2.8 from a forum member recently fully knowing that the front element was scratched:
I know from various posts that the scratch will probably not affect IQ much, but I thought the lens is worth repairing, so I contacted C R Kennedy (Australian Pentax distributor). They warned me that they may not have parts, and sent it to Japan. They just replied:

Even Eric said he won't touch it saying he has no parts. CRIS in the US also said the same thing.

Any ideas on who else may have the parts for this? FYI I'm based in Sydney, Australia, but obviously I am happy to send this overseas.
Your chances to find a damaged lens with a good front element are extremely slim. In the mean time, to make use of the lens at all, I would fill the scratch with matte black paint (as has been suggested above). This will very slightly decrease contrast (but much less, than leaving the scratch unpainted, as the damaged glass will reflect much more diffused light into the lens). The IQ-loss won't be noticeable, as the blackened surface area is small compared to the front elements' total area.
I just hope, you got the lens cheaply, as resale value will be comparetively low, though.

Ben
10-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #21
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the helpful comments

QuoteQuote:
Your chances to find a damaged lens with a good front element are extremely slim. In the mean time, to make use of the lens at all, I would fill the scratch with matte black paint (as has been suggested above).
Cool cool, I hear you I just wanted to explore all options before resigning to the fact that it can't be fixed, and I do realise the lens is still very much useable even in that case Just wanted to test the powers of PF in case somebody does know how to source a rare part.
10-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #22
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Buying one element is drastic, but buying a €2000 lens just to take the one piece out isn't?
Buying an existing element as a spare part is of course not drastic if a Pentax dealer somewhere still stocks them. Manufacturing an element and custom cutting it to fit is.

Nobody suggested buying a €2000 lens just to take out the front element. The suggestion was to buy a lens that's already damaged - I think that was a sensible suggestion, though chances are obviously very slim.