Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Macro Lens question

Is the pentax dfa 100 macro internally focusing? One of the things I really liked about my canon macro lens was this feature.

Are there any macro lenses in the 100mm range and pentax mount that internally focus (mf or af)? I am new to Pentax and have not really learned all the lines and features yet.
Thanks

02-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, it isn't internally focus.
02-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
No, it isn't internally focus.
I see you have this lens. If you had it to do all over would you buy this lens again? Or would you purchase something else like the Sigma or Tamron (or other?)

Thanks
02-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Not to poke my nose in where it wasnt asked for, butI find that when doing macro shots, where the DOF is soooo thin, wafer thin, that AF isn't really a luxury. You may find MF more user friendly when shooting Macros, hence both my Macro lenses are very sharp, very old, and MF.

02-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Not to poke my nose in where it wasnt asked for, butI find that when doing macro shots, where the DOF is soooo thin, wafer thin, that AF isn't really a luxury. You may find MF more user friendly when shooting Macros, hence both my Macro lenses are very sharp, very old, and MF.
me too..
you can take my viv105 out of my cold, dead hand.
02-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
me too..
you can take my viv105 out of my cold, dead hand.
Same here
02-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Now I read that the actual magnification for lenses that use internal focusing might not be as accurate as a lens that whose lens barrel actually extends physically. Perhaps someone can confirm this point because I remember seeing a comparison done online.

On the point between AF and MF, having both types of macro lenses (I have 3 macro lenses), AF does have it's place.

K100D FA 50mm Macro

Last edited by creampuff; 02-06-2008 at 03:43 PM.
02-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It most certainly does, but lets say that bee was facing you and its body was at a 45 degree angle, making its eyes in the lower right hand corner. An AF lens would require you to move for fosusing spot to that area them move the camera to line up the spot with the eye and maybe lose the composition that you wanted. With a MF lens, you can just move the focus ring and get the eye in focus and not lose the composition by having to move the camera.

02-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
It most certainly does, but lets say that bee was facing you and its body was at a 45 degree angle, making its eyes in the lower right hand corner. An AF lens would require you to move for fosusing spot to that area them move the camera to line up the spot with the eye and maybe lose the composition that you wanted. With a MF lens, you can just move the focus ring and get the eye in focus and not lose the composition by having to move the camera.
or if you have the *istD or K10D you jyst set your focus poin tto an alternate (not center) focusing point. Not sure about the others, but these cameras have multiple, user selectable AF sensors.

if you are dealing with static objects, you have all the time in the world, and can set the one you want. note with the K10D and *istD the adjustment can be done using the 4 way controller while looking through the viewfinder but I wouldnt want to do it with a bee flying around
02-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I just ordered the Pentax DFA 100mm f2.8 Macro.
02-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by BeerCan Quote
Good move beercan, I got mine last week and am very happy with it. Note also that it has a function called Quick shift focus where you use autofocus to get near enough and then use the focus ring to touch it up. There is a clutch in the lens that allows you to do the final focus manually without selecting manual focus on the camera. It works like a dream. I use auto focus to get a reasonably close setting then just quietly twist the focus ring to tidy it up.

Reagards and enjoy your lens
Brian
02-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BeerCan Quote
Wow that's fast :P but I can ensure you won't regret it at all. It is sharp and the color come out so well. Yes sometime the auto focus will try go hunting on its own, but just use chump lock or the quick shift if it does it. And I am sure you already have your split image focus screen for your viewfinder, right?

You will enjoy it. I love it much more than my FA35 and FA50.

here are some pic i took with it: Victor Lam's Photos - Orchid | Facebook