Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 135-400 APO and APO DG

Does anybody have either of these two? Does anybody know what the difference is between the APO and the APO DG versions? I'm assuming that the "DG" stands for some sort of "digitally optimized" something or other. But I'm more interested in the IQ of the lens. So if anybody has it I'd be interested in hearing what you can say about it.

NaCl(input is appreciated)H2O

02-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have the DG version and it's pretty good, for it's price (half the price of the Bigma). It's reasonably sharp at 400mm and I think it's the shortest (physical length) and lightest of Sigma's 400mm+ zoom lenses. I value the small size. Here is a link to some pictures I have on my flickr site taken with this lens.

Note, the K10D had some problems focusing on the red cardinal - I might have been able to get a sharper shot. And the "First Fall Colors" is out of focus 'cause the leaves were blowing in the wind (but I liked the photo none the less :-) ).

Flickr: siderean's photos tagged with sigma135400mmf4556dg
02-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dkittle Quote
I have the DG version and it's pretty good, for it's price (half the price of the Bigma). It's reasonably sharp at 400mm and I think it's the shortest (physical length) and lightest of Sigma's 400mm+ zoom lenses. I value the small size. Here is a link to some pictures I have on my flickr site taken with this lens.

Note, the K10D had some problems focusing on the red cardinal - I might have been able to get a sharper shot. And the "First Fall Colors" is out of focus 'cause the leaves were blowing in the wind (but I liked the photo none the less :-) ).

Flickr: siderean's photos tagged with sigma135400mmf4556dg
I have the APO DG series as well...I also have the bigma, but use my 135-400 instead of the bigma. I find the sharpness to be quite good...

Ok..Here are some examples of photos taken with my K10D that have only been cropped and resized...These photos were taken at 4 stories up on top of the Kodak theature in Hollywood...The distance is about 1/2 a city block away...In other words, this put my sigma lens to the test...

The lens here is set at 250mm

The lens here is set at 300mm

The lens here is set at 400mm...While a little soft, I could have sharpened it a little, but I wanted to show the photo un altered..
02-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There is I believe is no difference, I have the 170-500 APO, does not have DG on the lens, yet it is the same and a new model. I think it is to do with when it was made. Earlier models did not have DG due to the lack of DSLR's But with the explosion of DSLR ownership, along with Sigma bringing out the DC range which is DSLR only, they needed a logo on the normal range to show that they can be used on 35mm and Digital.

02-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Hi
Yes I have the APO model (the earlier model). The lens turns out quite acceptable quality shots, however it has one MAJOR drawback. It suffers severly with lens creep. It has no locking mechanism, and if you happen to have it pointing slightly downward, the thing immediately extends itself to full length.
Is evident in all of the lens of this model I believe. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
For that reason I dont recommend it, but definitely seek out the later model as I am led to believe it does have a locking mechanism, (perhaps others could confirm that?).

Last edited by Bramela; 02-06-2008 at 01:00 PM.
02-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter

DKittle
I see you have the DG model. Do you have serious lens creep problems with your lens?
Thanks!
02-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Bruce
I do not have any lens creep what so ever. I believe your model is push / pull for adjusting focal length. Mine is conventional where you turn / twist the focal length adjuster.

02-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #8
Inactive Account

With my model, you turn the zoom ring to zoom and it has the exact same zoom creep problems Bruce has. I need to hold the lens horizontal as I'm walking around with it. It's a pain, but inevitably I come across something I need a shorter focal length for so I swap zooms and thereby get a break from holding it :-)

02-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dkittle Quote
With my model, you turn the zoom ring to zoom and it has the exact same zoom creep problems Bruce has. I need to hold the lens horizontal as I'm walking around with it. It's a pain, but inevitably I come across something I need a shorter focal length for so I swap zooms and thereby get a break from holding it :-)
Perhaps I am lucky. I have had mine for about eight months, so it is fairly new.
02-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the info and the sample shots. Looks like it's a pretty good lens.

NaCl(now all in need is a pretty good bank account!)H2O
02-06-2008, 05:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

"DG" in Sigmas line denotes the same thing as the DFA in Pentax. Same lens as the non-DG with the digital coating on the rear element.
02-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
"DG" in Sigmas line denotes the same thing as the DFA in Pentax. Same lens as the non-DG with the digital coating on the rear element.
Agreed...

Actually I find the difference noticable, as I had a Sigma 50 EX then a Sigma 50 DG EX and there was considerable reduction of what looked like fringing when you shot into something backlit by the sun..
02-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
Not quite. You need to be very careful. The D stands for the "digitally optimized" coatings, BUT the G stands for full frame.

before the release of large numbers of ASP-C sensors, all sigma lenses were full frame,

They now have DG lenses for full frame, but DC for ASP-C sensor image circle.

Same concept as the tamron Di and Dii lenses. Di are full frame and Dii are ASP-C sensor image circle.

While I don't have either of these, I have the APO 70-200 F2.8 EX (not DG) lens quality is excellent, images are great.
02-07-2008, 03:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Correct, as are the DFA full frame, as in the DFA 100 f2.8 Macro, as opposed to DA which are APS-C only.
07-29-2009, 04:50 AM   #15

I would STILL loooove to get one of those...

Dear Fellow Pentaxians:

The PIPE here...and I've wanted one of those "Li'l Bigma" 135-400 lenses ever since I first found out about them, as the DG version could easily be used on BOTH of my Pentaxes...either my "film burner" K1000SE brown vinylclad version from 1980, with the split-image centertarget/microprism ring in the viewfinder (a rarity from what I've heard). OR my 2007-purchased K100D digital SLR.

I've been laid off since September 2008 when the financial crisis hit, and have been on unemployment ever since (with only ONE interview to show for it)...so one can well imagine that the "Li'l Bigma", my nickname for the 135-400 Sigma zoom, might as well not even exist for me, at least UNTIL I can get a new job-but who knows when that is going to happen, hmmm?

However, quite some time ago I got myself another nice, but all-manual, Vivitar Series One 70-210 macro zoom lens as a used unit from KEH.com, and I'm not at all sorry I got it used...it's one of the much sought-after "first version" units from what Mark Roberts' site at Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 Macro Zoom Lenses - Mark Roberts Photography had to say.

My Pentaxforums thread from about a year ago, at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/37893-1st-serious-trial-...0mm-k100d.html , was my first serious try at using my "film burner" Vivitar S1 manual telephoto on my K100D, and I quickly got used to using it on my K100D...it's not a "real" substitute for a "Li'l Bigma", but it IS a lens I've already got, and it SEEMS to be quite a usable combination with my K100D, at least until I can find a "Li'l Bigma" in a Pentax-K mount. But that's ONLY after I can FINALLY manage to get back to work, and maybe I'll be able to find the 135-400 as a used lens, and perhaps even from a place like KEH, where I got the Vivitar S1 from in the first place.

I would STILL love to have a Sigma 135-400 unit...but that WILL have to wait...and at least in the meantime that wonderfully adaptable K-mount design allows me to keep using my Vivitar S1 with my K100D !

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!