Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Another lens buying strategy thread.

Last weekend I splurged and ordered from Circuit City the 50-200mm f/4-5.6 zoom lens for $160. I think I may return it after getting a few opinions here.

Then an item I auctioned on ebay sold and then was offered some money for an old Nikon FM2 and a few lenses so I started thinking...and that usually when I get in trouble...

I did some research and talked to a few more knowlegable photographers and learned that fixed aperture zooms are much better. And a faster lens is better as well.

I don't see myself as shooting sporting events or birds. I do envision photographs of people and architecture. And thats when I saw the thread about the 50-135mm f/2.8 and thats when I started thinking that that would be a good lens for me. Prime lenses are also appealing due to their speed and sharpness as well. And if I go that route I think the 50mm f/1.4 and the 70mm would be my choices. I sure wish made a wiser decision before I bought my camera with the kits lens.

If you guys had about $800 what would you get next?

...Sprags

02-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #2

How about (assuming that AF is preferred) the FA-50/1.4 ($200) for people and either the DA 21/3.2 ($350-400) or the DA 14/2.8 ($550) for buildings? That would put you under the $800, so you may be able to squeeze a filter or two for the lenses.

The DA-14mm is pretty wide and is a bit specialized. From my experience, I found that over 25% of shots taken while in Spain were at the wide end of the kit lens. In addition, I took a lot inside of poorly lit cathedrals and buildings were flash was not permitted - so either a fast prime/zoom or stabilizer/monopod is needed.

When I go back, the DA-14mm will (hopefully) be in my bag (or maybe the DA 12-24 - but that may be a bit slow).
02-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
Last weekend I splurged and ordered from Circuit City the 50-200mm f/4-5.6 zoom lens for $160. I think I may return it after getting a few opinions here.

Then an item I auctioned on ebay sold and then was offered some money for an old Nikon FM2 and a few lenses so I started thinking...and that usually when I get in trouble...

I did some research and talked to a few more knowlegable photographers and learned that fixed aperture zooms are much better. And a faster lens is better as well.

I don't see myself as shooting sporting events or birds. I do envision photographs of people and architecture. And thats when I saw the thread about the 50-135mm f/2.8 and thats when I started thinking that that would be a good lens for me. Prime lenses are also appealing due to their speed and sharpness as well. And if I go that route I think the 50mm f/1.4 and the 70mm would be my choices. I sure wish made a wiser decision before I bought my camera with the kits lens.

If you guys had about $800 what would you get next?
...Sprags

Add $200 more and get a 35mm (or more) PC-Shift lens (assuming it is decent quality).

HARTBLEI 35mm Super-Rotator Tilt Shift Lens | HARTBLEI